What is your mealtime routine looking like lately? More importantly, what's it tasting like? We're all adjusting to a new normal that includes cooking more meals (and doing more dishes) than some of us are probably used to. Even though I thrive in routine, I've had to be very intentional about keeping a routine going and have committed to making mealtimes as exciting as possible. Often times, that means enjoying a glass of wine with dinner. Each Friday, I order lunch from a small local restaurant then mix up a fun cocktail for virtual happy hour in the evening.
I'm leaning heavily on tried and true recipes and coming up with lots of new ones, too. These mini breakfast taco cups are a brand new one and SO good, y'all. Today's post talks about how to make them, why you'll want to, and customization options to suit different dietary needs and grocery store stocks that can be touch and go right now.
You're probably familiar with egg bites and egg muffins. I've made some delicious ones before with spinach and goat cheese. 🙂 These mini breakfast taco cups are a little bit extra, though, because they're wrapped in portable tortilla cups that are perfectly chewy and a little crisp at the top. The filling is made up of scrambled eggs, and authentic-tasting taco meat and veggies. I could eat the filling all by itself but the cute little tortilla cups bring everything together so well and give you a true breakfast taco experience. I'm not afraid to play favorites with my recipes and this one is definitely a new fave. I've eaten them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner without getting tired.
This is a great recipe to make with kids if you have any around your house. 🙂 Putting together the tortilla cups is fun and doesn't take any special expertise. And, in the end, you'll basically have a dozen breakfast tacos all made in one go. Even better, mini breakfast taco cups can be taken on the go for workweek breakfasts. They keep in the fridge for about a week and reheat in just about a minute!
How to Customize this Recipe
I highly recommend you try this mini breakfast taco cups recipe as written but totally understand that you might want or need to make some modifications. Here's where you can safely customize without compromising flavor:
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Add different veggies into the taco filling. Other bell peppers, fresh spinach, matchstick carrots, and chopped mushrooms would all work well here.
- I made these with ground turkey but you can use the ground meat of your choice or even shredded chicken would work. And, if you aren't into meat, use some of the veggies listed above for a great vegetarian breakfast option.
- If you don't have tortillas, that's ok, too. These mini breakfast taco cups are still very flavorful without the mini tortilla bowls and will bake up just fine. You won't get the whole breakfast taco taste and mouthfeel, though.
- You can use corn tortillas in this recipe but will likely want to soak them first so that they don't get too crisp while baking.
No matter how you choose to make your mini breakfast taco cups, the taco seasoning is NOT negotiable. You can use a packet of pre-made taco seasoning or mix up your own (my preference). Here's the recipe I use for homemade taco seasoning, in case you need it.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika (I like smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
To make the taco seasoning, just mix all of the above ingredients together. You'll use all of this in this recipe. Feel free to play with the spice measurements to suit your taste. For example, use less of the crushed red pepper if you don't normally like your food so spicy. Oregano is also typically included in taco seasoning but not required if you don't have it on hand. I know you will absolutely love this recipe if you try it. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below and sharing is caring so remember to pin this recipe to Pinterest. 🙂 Thanks for reading!
P.S. more fun breakfast ideas:
Mini Breakfast Taco Cups
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅛ onion diced
- 6 teaspoons homemade taco seasoning or one store-bought packet
- 11 eggs
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 12-count cupcake pan by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Cut each tortilla in half then cut a notch halfway up the center of each half (as pictured). Brush tortilla half with melted butter then fold onto itself and press into prepared cupcake pan (as pictured). Repeat with remaining tortillas. Place pan in oven to bake for five minutes then remove.
- Meanwhile add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high flame. Add ground turkey, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and taco seasoning and saute until turkey is cooked through and veggies are tender. Turn off heat.
- Crack all eggs into a small bowl and whisk until uniform and fluffy. Add sea salt to taste.
- To assemble bowls: Divide taco filling evenly between tortilla cups (should be even with edge of pan) then divide beaten egg mixture evenly between tortilla cups. Bake for about 20 minutes or until egg is cooked through and edges of tortillas are slightly crisp.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and salsa, if desired.