My go-to method for meal prepping homemade instant oatmeal mix for the week with ideas to customize your recipe. Originally posted in April 2016. Last updated April 2021.
My love for a good hot breakfast bowl began young. One story my mom loved to tell involves my mispronunciation of "cream of wheat" as a toddler. She found it cute and endearing. I find it a little embarrassing, in part because I don't like cream of wheat anymore. But I do love oatmeal, which is complete 180 from my childhood preference. Go figure. Today we're chatting about how to prepare oatmeal for the entire week in about five minutes! You already know that I love a good ol' baked oatmeal recipe but, as the late, great Marvin Gaye said, ain't nothing like the real thing. Sometimes, I just want a steaming bowl of oatmeal that I can stir up and add a splash of milk to, ya know? Let's get into how to prep a week's worth (or more) of oatmeal mix in about 5 minutes!
If you love oatmeal in the mornings, check out these recipes, too.
If you are like me and eat breakfast at your desk during the work week you have to think strategically about what to have for breakfast on weekdays in order to avoid boredom. This make-ahead oatmeal mix method is simple, quick, and completely customizable. I love that I can add whatever I want to this recipe and it's each to switch up the ingredients when I get burnt out on a particular combination. It's also a great homemade instant oatmeal for camping, should you need ideas on that front, too. This is how I make instant oatmeal from scratch.
My Homemade Oatmeal Mix Ingredients
- Old fashioned or steel cut oats
- Crushed Apple Chips
- Walnut Pieces
- Golden Raisins or Dried Cranberries
- Sea salt
How to Make Good Instant Oatmeal at Home
- Scoop your prepped oatmeal mix into a bowl. I do about 1 ½ cup each morning.
- Add liquid. Milk, water, cream, apple juice--do you! For thinner and smoother oatmeal, add enough liquid that it completely covers the oatmeal by at least an inch. For thicker, chunkier oatmeal, add liquid so that it doesn't quite reach the top of the oatmeal.
- Microwave your oatmeal for about one minute.
- Stir and enjoy!
The basic formula is 6 cups of oats, 2 cups of mix ins, then whatever spices you prefer. My go-to recipe is in the recipe card below and it's truly what I consider the best instant oatmeal mix at home. If this doesn't do it for you, keep scrolling for a few more oatmeal topping ideas (there's chocolate involved). The prep process takes about five minutes upfront then less than two minutes each morning! You have two minutes. You do.
Instant Oatmeal Mix-In Ideas
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Mix
- 1 cup apple chips
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup walnut halves
Banana Nut Oatmeal Mix
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
Cherry Almond Oatmeal Mix
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sliced almonds
Sweet & Salty Chocolate Oatmeal Mix
- ¼ cup raw cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup pretzel pieces
- ¾ cup peanuts
Tips for Meal Prepping Oatmeal Mix
- What to add to oatmeal for protein? You can easily add a scoop of protein powder to oatmeal mix for an extra does of protein. Nuts, legumes, and powdered nut butter also work really well in this recipe.
- Which spices to add to oatmeal? I am partial to cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in my homemade oatmeal mix. Sea salt adds a nice balance to the sweetness and cardamom and turmeric are also great additions.
- How to make instant oatmeal healthier? Add high-quality beneficial mix-ins like protein powder, maca powder, and collagen peptides. Anti inflammatory spices like turmeric and cinnamon are also great for making your oatmeal mix more nutritious.
- How to store oatmeal mix for the week? Store your DIY instant oatmeal in a zipper-seal bag or airtight container in a cool place like your pantry. Refrigeration isn't necessary and, so long as you aren't using any fresh ingredients, the oatmeal keeps this way for up to three months!
I hope you try out one of these variations to make your own oatmeal mix soon and enjoy a smooth workweek. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this DIY instant oatmeal blend on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipe
Easy and customizable instant oatmeal mix made with all-natural ingredients you probably have in your pantry
- 6 cups old fashioned or steel cut oats
- 1 cup apple chips broken into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a gallon-sized zipper bag or a large food storage container and seal.
Shake and toss the bag/container until ingredients are well mixed. Store in a cool dry place. Keeps for up to three months.
- To serve, just add enough hot liquid to achieve your desired consistency, stir, and eat.