Get the recipe for easy and elevated egg muffins you can make ahead for a week of breakfast deliciousness in under 30 minutes! Originally published September 2018. Last updated April 2023.
If you're here for copycat Starbucks egg bites, you're in the wrong place. Because these are better than Starbucks egg bites! Today, I'm going to guide you through my healthy make ahead eggs recipe that comes together quick and easy and hits all the right flavor notes. Let's get into your new weekday breakfast routine.
Table of Contents
What Are Breakfast Scrambled Egg Muffins?
First, what even are egg muffins? Scrambled egg muffins, also called baked omelette bites are scrambled eggs mixed up with vegetables, cheese, and proteins and baked in a muffin tin or cupcake pan. This is how to meal prep eggs for the week all at once and in no time! Mini egg muffins you can heat and eat on busy work mornings belong in your meal prep rotation.
This is also an easy breakfast to make ahead during the school year so moms love it. Yes, you can have the deliciousness of those fancy egg bites and soufflés that coffeeshops sell for a fraction of the price. I did the math and they come out to less than 75 cents per egg muffin!
What do they taste like?
This oven egg bites recipe is super savory. It tastes like your favorite omelette and can take on the tangy, spicy or salty flavors of whatever you mix in. I load my scrambled egg muffins with spinach and mushrooms and goat cheese so they are fluffy where they need to be with creamy and chewy textures, too.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
Making muffin tin egg cups calls for simple ingredients that you can customize to your taste. Here's what to add to your grocery list:
- Eggs are the star here. They literally hold everything together. Grab the best quality eggs you can afford. Egg whites can be used instead but the flavor and texture won't be as rich.
- Goat Cheese in the center of each egg bite is part of what makes these better than anything you can buy in the store.
- Baby Spinach gets cooked until tender to add some flavor and fiber to each muffin. Feel free to use other greens like kale, collards, or chard.
- Mushrooms are my favorite thing to add to an omelette. Use cello, baby bella, or whatever kind of mushroom you like here.
- Onion - I like to use yellow onion but whatever kind you have works, including shallots. If you don't have access to fresh onion, dried or even onion powder will work, too.
- Garlic easily adds to the gourmet flavor vibe and you can use garlic powder if fresh garlic cloves aren't available.
- Olive Oil is my cooking oil of choice for sauteeing the vegetables. You can also prepare the muffin pan with it if you don't have a nonstick oil spray available.
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
What else can I add into this dish? Truly, whatever you like. Sausage, ham, crumbled bacon--any kind of protein you would typically put in a stove top omelette can work in an oven egg bites recipe.
Tips & Tools
What is the best pan for baking egg bites at home? Grab a 12-count muffin pan for this recipe. You'll also need a sharp knife and cutting board, along with a skillet for sauteeing the veg. I prefer the beat the eggs in a multi-measuring cup to make pouring into the pan easy.
How to keep egg bites from sticking to cupcake pan? Make sure to use a non-stick pan and spray it with nonstick oil for good measure. I also recommend removing the eggs from the pan before fully cooled.
How to store scrambled egg muffins? Allow the scrambled egg cups to fully cool then store them in an airtight container and refrigerate. They will keep for about a week this way.
How to Make Breakfast Scrambled Egg Muffins
To make my gourmet scrambled egg muffins, you first sauté baby spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and onion for just a couple of minutes. Meanwhile take out any pent up aggression by beating up a dozen eggs. Combine everything then transfer this "batter" into a greased cupcake pan and place a bit of goat cheese in the middle of each one. Bake for a bit and that's it!
How to Serve Baked Egg Cups
This is a grain free and vegetarian breakfast meal prep option so it's great to make omelettes for a crowd. If you have little ones, this is also the perfect baked eggs recipe for busy moms with picky eaters. Just pair with a serving of fresh fruit. Check out the recipe card below for full nutrition information to decide how many to serve.
Is this recipe good for women with PCOS?
Absolutely! Starting each day with protein and fiber is considered a best practice for balancing blood sugar, which can improve insulin resistance and other symptoms. Eggs are a great source of protein and nutrients like choline and omega-3 fatty acids so these egg bites are a PCOS friendly breakfast option.
More Favorite Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
Now that you have the best method for making eggs in advance, go forth and conquer your mornings. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Easy Egg Muffins Recipe
Gourmet Scrambled Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 1 12-count cupcake pan
- 1 skillet
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 4 mushrooms like cello or baby bella
- ⅛ onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 large eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium-high flame.
- Chop spinach, mushrooms, onion, and garlic then add to heated skillet. Sauté for about two minutes or until fragrant then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-count cupcake pan with nonstick spray or oil and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl. Add sea salt and black pepper then beat until uniform and fluffy (about two minutes).
- Add spinach mixture to beaten eggs and stir. Scoop slightly less than ½ cup of egg and spinach mixture into each cavity of prepared cupcake pan.
- Divide goat cheese into 12 equal chunks and place one chunk in the center of each cavity.
- Transfer pan to preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until tops are firm yet springy and muffins are cooked through.