Take your hot toddy experience to the next level easily with mint tea. You only need five ingredients and five minutes to make this soothing sip!
I love curling up with a hot toddy at the slightest sign of a tickle in my throat, especially when the weather is a little cooler. But you don't really need an excuse to make my mint hot toddy recipe. Today, I'm not only giving you the easy recipe & tips but also schooling you on the medicinal benefits of drinking a hot toddy. Let's get into it.
And if you enjoy this recipe, you'll love my other flavored hot toddies: apple cider hot toddy and the hibiscus hot toddy!
What You'll Need for this Recipe
Making a hot toddy drink with herbal tea starts with just a few ingredients. And you might already have them in your kitchen. Here's what to add to your grocery list.
- Mint Tea in most any form will work. I typically use tea bags but you could use loose tea or even fresh mint leaves.
- Hot Water
- Whiskey is what distinguishes a hot toddy from a plain ol' mug of tea. Use your favorite brand of whiskey, including bourbon and scotch.
- Honey is throat soothing with antibacterial properties, especially raw honey. Use whatever kind you prefer.
- Lemon Juice can be fresh squeezed or the kind from the bottle. It's used in a hot toddy because it reduces phlegm, promotes hydration, and provides vitamin C!
If you want to add a flavor twist to this drink, try using honey ginger syrup instead of plain honey. It's a treat!
What does it taste like?
This refreshing hot toddy has an herbaceous, slight cooling taste from the mint tea. You'll also taste subtly floral sweetness from the honey balanced out by sour and brightness from the lemon juice. Depending on what kind of whiskey you choose, there may also be smoky, woodsy or even vanilla flavor notes from the spirit.
Tips & Tools
Grab a sharp knife and cutting board for the lemon. Aside from that, you'll only need a mug and spoon for mixing everything together. And I love this reusable strainer for loose leaf tea.
What kind of tea to use in a toddy recipe? I like spearmint tea in this recipe, especially because I try to drink at least one cup of spearmint tea every day for managing PCOS. But you can use peppermint tea, as well.
Can I make it vegan? Yes, for sure. Just replace the honey with maple syrup or the vegan sweetener of your choice.
More Favorite Whiskey Drinks
Caramel Apple Cider with Bourbon
Raspberry Champagne Whiskey Cocktail
I hope you'll enjoy an herbal tea hot toddy soon and very soon. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
How to Make a Spearmint Tea Hot Toddy
Mint Tea Hot Toddy
- 8 ounces water
- 1 mint tea bag or one tablespoon dried mint tea
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ lemon
- 1 ½ ounce whiskey
- Heat water to boiling (about two minutes in the microwave or four minutes on stovetop).
- Add mint tea bag or leaves and hot water to a mug. Steep for about five minutes.
- Remove the tea bag from tea then add honey, lemon juice, and whiskey. Stir until honey is dissolved.
- Serve with a stripe of lemon peel or lemon round, if desired. Carefully enjoy while warm and drink responsibly!
Leave a Reply