My naturally sweet smoothie is delicious and combines easy ingredients to give your immune system a needed boost in just five minutes! Originally published March 2020. Last updated March 2023.
If we've learned anything in recent years, it's that we can't count on everybody to wash their hands. So eating and drinking that give the immune system an assist is always a good idea. Today, I'm breaking down a simple orange juice smoothie recipe you'll turn to on the regular, including my pro smoothie tips. Let's get into it!
What You'll Need for this Recipe
- Chia Seeds help support a healthy digestive tract and gut health is closely linked to stronger immunity. So much of our overall wellness ties back to the gut! I like to use milled chia seeds.
- Ginger is full of vitamins, antioxidants, and known to help kill cold viruses. I like fresh ginger here but you can grab powdered ginger, if fresh is unavailable to you.
- Greek Yogurt supplies probiotics, which also help maintain healthy gut balance. Gut health is vital to overall immune system strength. We also add it to this smoothie for thickness.
- Medjool Date adds natural sweetness with a low glycemic index, which means it's less likely to spike your blood sugar. And unlike many sweeteners, it contains nutrients like potassium and magnesium.
- Orange Juice is obviously high in vitamin C and provides the perfect liquid base for this immune boost smoothie. Use fresh-squeezed orange juice, if you can.
- Spinach is also rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, and beta carotene, which are thought to help fight infections. Grab the leafy greens of your choosing, including collards and kale. No matter what, you won't taste it! Think of this as a green smoothie for immunity.
- Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Fresh turmeric is the first pick but you can substitute turmeric powder and still reap the benefits!
What else can I add to my smoothie? Turn this into a balanced meal replacement shake by adding a serving of your favorite protein powder for extra protein.
What does it taste like?
Imagine sunshine in a glass. Seriously! This is a natural drink recipe to give your immune system a boost that's actually tasty. You'll taste bright citrusy notes from the orange, subtle zing and spice from the ginger and turmeric, and the date adds sweet notes that aren't overpowering. The Greek yogurt also adds some tanginess.
Tips & Tools
Grab a sharp knife and cutting board to prepare the ginger and remove the pit from your medjool date. You'll also need a blender and a glass--straw optional.
Can I make it ahead of time? Yes, you can prep this smoothie ahead of time using my frozen smoothie pack method. Just reserve the liquid until it's time to blend!
Make sure to remove the date pit or use a pitted date. Nothing is worse than unexpected hard pieces in a creamy drink.
When to Drink an Orange Smoothie
This is truly an anytime smoothie! We tend to focus on immune support very heavily during cold and flu season but it's truly important every day. Drink it in the morning for a sweet start to the day that's quick to make but with much less sugar than the immune builder Smoothie King version. And you don't need to leave the house!
For me, I am especially mindful of immunity support when I travel and want to ensure I'm doing and eating the right things before, during, and after a trip to support my immune system.
Is this a PCOS-friendly smoothie recipe?
Absolutely! It's full of important nutrients, fiber, healthy fat, and protein. Using a medjool date as the sweetener also makes it more blood sugar friendly. Check out all my PCOS recipes for even more dishes with similar good-for-you ingredients.
More Favorite Healthy Smoothies
Now that you have the immune booster smoothie in your back pocket, make it part of your routine. And sharing is caring so be sure to save this recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Easy Immunity Boosting Smoothie Recipe
Sweet Orange Immune Boost Smoothie
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 medjool date
- 1 one-inch piece ginger
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Prepare the produce: Peel skin from ginger and remove pit from the date.
- Add orange juice, Greek yogurt, baby spinach, medjool date, ginger, chia seeds, and turmeric to blender. Pulse until liquified and uniform.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and enjoy cold.