A set-it-and-forget-it slow cooker recipe for tender, saucy BBQ chicken sliders on sweet buns. Originally published January 2018. Last updated September 2022.
If you're here for a slow cooker tailgate recipe, I gotchu with my pulled chicken sliders on Hawaiian rolls. This is a great hands-off recipe for hosting. You can start the chicken a few hours before your watch party and attend to other pre-party tasks while it slow cooks with minimal supervision. Let's get into the juicy details!
If you like flavorful slow cooker chicken recipes, check these out, too!
Making Juicy Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
Despite the reputation chicken breast has for dryness, it's extremely easy to attain tender juiciness by cooking chicken breast with barbecue sauce in the slow cooker. You basically throw the ingredients into your crockpot and let the magic happen. I first made this saucy chicken in the slow cooker at a Christmas party and the reviews were stellar. Many guests assumed the meat was pulled pork due to the flavor and tenderness!
What You'll Need for this Recipe
Making BBQ chicken sliders in the crockpot is simple and so is the ingredient list. Here's what to add to your grocery cart.
- Barbecue Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Chili Powder
- King's Hawaiian Rolls
- Sea Salt
- Sliced Pickles
The slow cooker is a star player when cooking for a crowd because you can cook and serve the food out of it. Aside from that, you'll need a sharp knife and a mixing spoon. That's pretty much it.
How to Cut Hawaiian Rolls for Sliders Easy
King's Hawaiian rolls are the perfect little buns for for this Super Bowl sliders recipe and I have a trick for cutting the buns for sliders. Remove buns from package without separating them. Slice through the entire group of buns horizontally then separate all at once. This hack takes just two minutes! I use the same method when making Hawaiian turkey burger sliders, too.
How to Serve Mini Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
The slow cooker BBQ chicken comes out so tender and succulent that no extra sauces are needed but I like to serve these with pickle and onion slices for garnish. And if you're making these easy chicken sliders for gameday or another gathering, you might be wondering what goes with BBQ chicken sliders? Here are some delicious ideas to complete your spread.
- Balsamic Potato Salad
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Irresistible Massaged Kale Salad
- Single-Serve Mac & Cheese Cups
- Sticky Peanut Butter Wings
I hope you'll enjoy an occasion to give these a go very soon even it it's a weeknight dinner. And sharing is caring so be sure to share this pulled chicken sliders on Hawaiian rolls recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 18 ounces barbecue sauce
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 16 King's Hawaiian rolls
- sliced pickles optional garnish
- ½ onion, sliced optional garnish
- Season both sides of chicken breast with sea salt, black pepper, and chili powder then add to slow cooker. Pour barbecue sauce over top to cover chicken.
- Place cover on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. When finished, sauce should be bubbly and chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Farenheit at the thickest part.
- Remove chicken breasts from crock and shred with two forks. Place shredded chicken back in crock and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Slice King's Hawaiian rolls into halves horizontally to become slider buns. See notes for tips on this.
- Serve pulled chicken on prepared buns with sliced pickles and onions, if desired.