Silky smooth sweet potato casserole has notes of bourbon, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and a crunchy pecan streusel topping. Originally published November 2020. last updated September 2022.
Honestly, I didn't grow up on sweet potato casserole so I'm not quite sure but what I do know is that my Bourbon Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole is the bomb. Silky smooth, spiced sweet potato meets crunchy, brown sugary pecan streusel topping and it's such an easy holiday recipe. Whether you classify it as a side dish or Thanksgiving dessert recipe, I gotchu. Want to learn how to make sweet potato casserole from scratch? It's much simpler than you might think. Let's get into the details.
Download my Holiday Guide to make thanksgiving easy this year!
Looking for more unique recipes to complete your Thanksgiving dinner spread?
- Browned Butter Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Crispy Maple Brussels Sprouts
- Thanksgiving Salad with Crispy Delicata Squash
What is Sweet Potato Casserole?
Sweet potato casserole is a sweet baked side dish or dessert typically served at holiday tables, especially in the American south. It's sometimes called sweet potato soufflé or sweet potato pone depending on where you live and what goes into it. Because I developed this recipe using my grandmother's teachings, Kentucky bourbon, and Texas pecans, I classify it as a southern or soul food sweet potato casserole. Typical toppings for sweet potato casserole include marshmallows, bacon, streusel, and plain old pecans. I like a pecan streusel topping for praline-like flavor. The result is just one of the most decadent dishes you can bring to the Thanksgiving table.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
This bourbon sweet potato casserole is not easy only to make, it calls for really simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand during the holiday season. Here's what to add to your grocery list.
- Brown Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Sea Salt
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vanilla Extract
As far as tools, you'll need a food processor to whip sweet potatoes and I recommend grabbing a silicone spatula, as well. And an oval casserole dish is the perfect vessel for baking and serving Thanksgiving dishes. Have everything you need to make my bourbon sweet potato casserole? Scroll on down to the recipe card to get started! You'll also learn how to make easy streusel topping with pecans.
How to Mash Sweet Potatoes for Soufflé
In case you're wondering if you can mash sweet potatoes by hand, you can. This spatula is very helpful with that. But if you want silky sweet potato filling, I recommend using a food processor to get the mashed sweet potato texture just right. It makes quick work of mashing sweet potatoes for casserole and gets rid of those pesky sweet potato strings.
I use a food processor to make smooth sweet potatoes for other Thanksgiving recipes like my bourbon sweet potato pie and sweet potato pecan pie. This is really the best way to mash sweet potatoes for baby food or anything else!
I hope you enjoy my soul food sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or really any dinner soon. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
How to Make Bourbon Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole
Bourbon Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole
Bourbon Spiced Sweet Potato Filling
- 5 medium sweet potatoes about seven pounds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Pecan Streusel Topping
- 1 ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a fork or knife, pierce sweet potatoes several times then place in oven to roast for about 45 minutes or until tender. Carefully remove sweet potatoes from oven and place in fridge until cool enough to handle (about 20 minutes). Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make pecan streusel topping. Combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, flour, and melted butter in a bowl and stir by hand until a kind of crumbly paste forms. Set aside.
- Remove skin from sweet potatoes and place into bowl of food processor. Add brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla extract, melted butter, heavy cream, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt then process on medium speed until smooth. It may be necessary to pause and scrape down the sides of the bowl to get the mixture completely smooth.
- Spread mixture into a baking dish with about 2.25 qt capacity (like a medium-sized casserole dish or a square baking dish). Use a spoon or rubber spatula to smooth out the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon pecan streusel over top and gently press it into the sweet potato mixture. Place dish into oven and bake for about 1 hour or until streusel topping is firm and golden brown.
- Allow sweet potato casserole to cool for about 45 minutes before serving.