Deliciously crispy, sweet and savory brussels sprouts are a great vegan holiday side dish, simple to make, and roast to perfection in under 20 minutes! Originally published November 2018. Last updated January 2022.
My mom has been a brussels sprouts fan since I can remember but we didn't eat them much growing up so I didn't understand it. Now that I'm a full-grown adult with a sprouts-loving palate, I mourn all the years spent not eating them. I have made these simple, crispy, and caramelized ones for my family several Thanksgivings in a row and they're always a hit--I'm talking all gone with no leftovers. If you're looking for easy Thanksgiving side dish ideas or just want to learn how to make crispy brussels sprouts at home like your favorite restaurant does, get to scrolling, boo.
If you love easy brussels sprouts recipes, check these out, too!
- Cheesy Brussels Sprouts & Rice Casserole
- Crispy Suya Spiced Brussels Sprouts
- Smoky Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts
What You'll Need for this Recipe
- Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- Maple Syrup
- Oil (more on the right kind below)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
In my opinion, a sheet pan is the best pan for roasting crispy vegetables. I use same sheet pan all the time for roasting carrots and other root vegetables with wonderful results. Down below, I'll give you all my pro tips for how to roast brussels sprouts on a sheet pan. You'll also want to grab a sturdy kitchen spoon, ¼ measuring cup, and a large mixing bowl to toss all the ingredients together before roasting.
Roasted Maple Sprouts How-to Video
How to get Brussels Sprouts Crispy in the Oven
- Pat brussels sprouts completely dry before cooking. Any excess moisture on the sprouts will make them steam rather than roast, which results in softer texture instead of the nice caramelized crisp you came here for.
- Roast brussels sprouts at high temperature. Since they're small, they don't need a long cooking time to get crispy.
- Use an oil with a high smoke point or heat resistance. Avocado oil is best, with a smoke point of 520 degrees. Next up is grapeseed oil up to 420 degrees, and even olive oil has a smoke point of 405 degrees--all in Fahrenheit!
- Prepare a large sheet pan with non-stick oil spray. This way, the brussels sprouts will develop some char but not burn and stick to the pan.
- Spread sprouts out on the sheet pan with at least one inch between each one. When sprouts are cooked too close together, they release steam onto each other and steam rather than roast.
- Carefully rattle the pan to flip the sprouts over halfway through the cooking time. This will help them cook evenly!
Do I need to blanch brussels sprouts before roasting? Nope! At least not with this method. The quick roast at high temperatures with simple flavor additions also answers the question how to get the bitter taste out of brussels sprouts?
What to Serve with these Roasted Brussels
These roasted crispy brussels sprouts are perfect for carrying to potlucks or serving at your holiday table, especially if you need a paleo-friendly holiday recipe. But what about serving up flavorful sheet pan brussels on a regular weeknight? Here are a few foods that pair well with brussels sprouts.
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes
- Juicy Chicken Breast
- Lemon Pepper Shrimp
- Mini Mac & Cheese
- Smoky Jollof Rice
- Spiced Ginger Carrots
Now that you know how to make caramelized brussels sprouts at home, I hope you'll enjoy them at your earliest convenience. And sharing is caring, so be sure to save this thanksgiving side with a few ingredients for the holidays, too. Thanks for reading!
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe in 20 Minutes
Crispy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts washed and pat dry
- ¼ cup olive oil or another oil with high smoke point
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- black pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a full sheet pan with non-stick oil and set aside.
- Wash sprouts, pat dry, then cut off the ends and cut sprouts into halves.
- Add prepared sprouts to a large mixing bowl with black pepper, sea salt, olive oil, and maple syrup. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread brussels sprouts onto prepared sheet pan, leaving at least one inch of space between each sprout. Place in oven to roast for 15 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking time, gently and carefully shake the pan back and forth to flip and turn the sprouts. Continue roasting then serve warm.