Six Black candle brands you might not have heard of to give, receive, and let upgrade your space with rich and beautiful fragrance on a daily basis.
I'm a recovering candle hoarder. Since my college years, when I first had my own place, richly scented, evenly burning candles have been one of my favorite indulgences. In recent years, I've cut down my collection to focus on quality instead of quantity and developed an affinity for candles from Black-owned businesses. And especially since the great awakening of 2020, it's not hard to figure out which candle brands are Black-owned--but you probably haven't heard of some of my faves. So, I'm sharing the fruits of my candle collecting with you, just in time for the holidays.
If you like shopping from Black-owned brands, check out these posts, too!
- Houston Black-Owned Weekend Itinerary
- My Everyday Black Business Directory
- The Black-Owned Holiday Gift Guide
Six Black Candle Brands to Shop Right Now
Buying from Black businesses is one important piece of the puzzle toward progress and these brands make it easy. I've rounded up scents that run the gamut from fresh and floral to deep and earthy. Each brand is unique and I think there's here something for every candle addict that might be reading. Whether you like sweet and juicy candle scents to burn in the kitchen, fresh and clean fragrances for the bathroom, or even homey scents to travel with, I've got you covered. These candles make great gifts, too! Below, you'll find information on how much my favorite candles cost, where to shop, and what makes each brand unique. Let's get into six beautiful candles to give for the 2021 holiday season and beyond.
Love + Make
Love + Make is a Black-owned candle business led by two sisters in Houston, Texas. I love their chandling workshops because they're relaxing, fun, and I leave with two customized-for-me candle scents in beautiful vessels. But you don't have to live locally to support this Black woman-owned candle business in Houston. Sign up for a virtual class and everything you need will be shipped to you. This is the gift to give the experience seeker in your circle. It makes for an awesome date night--whether romantic or a friend date.
- What do Love + Make candles smell like? Love + Make candles smell like pretty much anything you could imagine as they have an extensive selection of fragrance oils and allow you to come up with your own blend with as much (or as little) guidance from expert staff as you'd like. My favorite scent combinations involve whiskey, tobacco, fig, almond, and red currant.
- How much do Love + Make candles cost? A workshop to make two candles costs $45 at the time of this posting. Again virtual options are available BUT if you're in Houston, it's one of my Houston have-to-do activities.
- Where can I buy Love + Make candle workshops? You can sign up for an existing workshop or inquire about booking a dedicated one on their website.
Harlem Candle Company
Luxury candles from Harlem Candle Co are the most recent additions to my collection and meet all the hype you might have heard around the brand. This Black home fragrance brand is dedicated to celebrating and invoking the spirit of the Harlem Renaissance by bringing a fragrance renaissance into the home. Their scents are named after giants of the era like Billie Holiday and Langston Hughes and iconic places like the speakeasy. Check out their gorgeous ceramic vessels for the holidays and new collaboration with The Met.
- What do Harlem Candle Co candles smell like? Harlem candles are rich and heady, well-developed scents with notes like cardamom, palo santo, and amber. You can even shop their collection by scent type.
- How much do Harlem Candle Co candles cost? Candles from Harlem Candle Co start at $17 for travel sized and $45 for 12-ounce candles.
- Where can I buy Harlem Candle Co candles? You can purchase Harlem Candle Co candles directly on their website (and sort by scent type!), as well as at luxury retailers including Bloomingdale's, Macy's and Nordstrom.
Olphactory Candles were my first foray into luxury Black-owned candles. They're locally-made in Dallas, Texas and follow a simple, chic black and white aesthetic. This brand creates candles inspired by Black culture and Jazz music with hand-poured soy wax candles that burn evenly and cleanly every time. I love that their full-size candle packaging is completely reusable. The jars become drinking glasses and the lids become coasters. Olphactory Candles was recently named one of Oprah's favorite things in the Black candle edition, by the way.
- What do Olphactory Candles smell like? I love this brand for masculine candle scents but don't stop there. Interlude, Sessions, and Heritage are my favorites and they fill my home with deep notes of oud, amber, honey rose, papaya, and more.
- How much do Olphactory Candles candles cost? Olphactory Candles' PHunk Pots (small size) start at $18 and 14-ounce candles cost $34.
- Where can I buy Olphactory Candles? You can buy direct from the website and at different businesses in the DFW area. Also consider booking a Pour'd session, which is their sensory candle-making experience.
Forvr Mood candles are luxury candles by a Black woman aka thee HBIC, Jackie Aina. If you know of Ms. Aina, you know that she knows fragrance. New collections drop each season, including special scents for the holidays. The packaging is gorgeous and I've never had any issues with tunneling or uneven burns. These are the ultimate rich auntie candles for Black women in luxury. Bougie candle lovers, get in formation.
- What do Forvr Mood candles smell like? Forvr Mood candles come in all several different scent types but many are foodie scents, including complex fruity scents and sweet bakery scents. My all-time favorite, which I order over and over, is Cuffing Season. It's perfectly fresh and slightly sweet.
- How much do Forvr Mood candles cost? Forvr Mood candles start at $35.
- Where can I buy Forvr Mood candles? You can purchase directly on their website and at Sephora or on Sephora.com with next-day delivery.
Solid's hand-poured candles come in apothecary jars and each label includes a QR code for a playlist to accompany your burn. Between the music, the crackling wood wick, and moving glitter in the wax, burning candles from Solid is a full-on sensory experience. How amazing is that?! And I just had to include a photo of the packaging because it's so thoughtful. Solid candles come wrapped in paper and sealed with a black wax stamp so they're ready to gift right out of the box.
- What do Solid candles smell like? Solid candles are sultry and very well layered. My favorites are Backwoods and Satin + Silk.
- How much do Solid candles cost? Solid is proof that phenomenal budget-friendly candles from Black brands do exist. Their candles start at just $10! Go ahead and jump on that because I can't guarantee it will last.
- Where can I buy Solid candles? You can purchase Solid candles directly from their website.
I love Dabira Aroma for destination inspired scents. Whenever you want to be transported to a lush and luxurious landscape without leaving the house, burn one of these. These candles are hand poured in Oakland, CA by a Black woman and come in gorgeous glossy vessels with lids.
- What do Dabira Aroma candles smell like? Simply put, Dabira Aroma candles smell like where you want to be. Their candles are scented with specific locations or feelings in mind, such as Serenity. Lekki Beach is my favorite. There are also seasonal scents like Amber Noir and Pumpkin Souffle.
- How much do Dabira Aroma candles cost? Travel candles are $13 and full-sized candles start at $29.
- Where can I buy Dabira Aroma candles? You can purchase these candles directly on the Dabira Aroma website.
Essential Candle Accessories to Level-Up your Experience
Burning candles at home is a vibe. For the most top notch vibes, there are a few tools I use and recommend. You'll want to hit add to cart on these, along with your new candle babies.
- Matches if you want to get fancy and display them along with your candle
- Pedestal to display and elevate your candles off surfaces that might be damaged by heat
- Rechargeable Wand Lighter is peak efficiency and ensures you'll never be caught slipping when you want to light up your favorite fragrance.
- Wick Dipper to extinguish your candles in wax. This cuts down on smoke and ensures you don't have to deal with any wax splatter.
- Wick Trimmer to keep your wicks at the right height and reduce debris in your candles. Candle wicks should be cut to about ¼ inch after each burn to reduce soot and help them candle burn evenly.
I'm wishing you happy shopping for candles and home goods from Black brands this season and every season. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this Black-owned candle guide over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!