Juicy chunks of watermelon infused with margarita cocktail ingredients make for a refreshing, tequila-spiked summertime treat.
I will go ahead and say that I am not really that into watermelon. I mean, it's better than cantaloupe for sure but I don't typically keep it in my fridge unless I'm entertaining. A few weeks ago, I cut up and chilled one for a few folks that came over the Memorial Day weekend and it was really popular--extremely juicy and super sweet. I even enjoyed a few slices myself. I needed a contribution for a pool party about a week after that and this got my wheels turning. The result was a juicy, boozy batch of margarita-infused watermelon. This is something you will absolutely want to make as soon as summer hits. It's quite amazing.
If you like watermelon, you'll love these recipes, too!
What is Margarita-Infused Watermelon?
Margarita-infused watermelon is basically pieces of watermelon soaked in a mixture of tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and a little sugar. To make it, you simply pour the mixture over the watermelon and let it chill in the fridge for a while. The result is an almost effortless spiked fruit snack that you'll definitely want to try for your next cookout, pool party, picnic or whatever. Ice cold watermelon is the ultimate summertime treat and adding this easy twist will make it even more popular at a gathering. I've served it a few times now and it is a consistent hit. Even my non-watermelon-eating self enjoys margarita-infused watermelon. Must be the booze.
The recipe calls for a bit of fresh mint, which is optional but adds a refreshing twist that I recommend you try. It might even combat tequila breath? I can't make any promises. To make the best margarita-infused watermelon, you'll want an exceptionally sweet and juicy watermelon. There are few tricks to picking a good watermelon, which I've included below. Keep this list in your back pocket for summertime because knowing how to pick a good watermelon is useful regardless of how you plan to eat it. This frozen watermelon mint lemonade is another good way to enjoy watermelon, by the way. 🙂
How to Pick the Perfect Watermelon
- Thump it. Then listen. The sound should be hollow.
- Look for the "field" spot. This is where the melon sat on the ground while growing and it should be yellow to golden orange in color.
- Look for brown "webbing" on the skin of the melon. It may not be pretty but is a sign of more pollination when the melon was a flower and, thus, more sweetness.
- Look at the "tail" or remnant of the vine. It should be brown. A green one indicates the melon was picked too early.
- Hold it. The melon should feel heavy for its size.
I hope these tips help you pick a few winners this summer. And sharing is caring so pin this boozy watermelon recipe on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
How to Make Tequila-Infused Watermelon
Freshly-cut watermelon kicked up with tequila, triple sec, and mint for the perfect summer cookout contribution!
- 1 medium watermelon cut into cubes
- 2 cups agave tequila
- ¼ cup liqueur such as triple sec or cointreau
- 6 sprigs of mint leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Arrange watermelon in a single layer on a baking pan.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in a bowl until sugar is completely dissolved then pour over watermelon.
- Refrigerate at least one hour up to overnight (the longer the better). Serve cold.