When you think of romance a few things quickly come to mind: red roses, mood music, and strawberries & champagne. I’m a fan of all three but only the last item can be captured in my favorite treat to bake, which, if you haven’t yet guessed, are donuts. 🙂 I’ve shared a number of baked donut recipes on the blog over the years from [my very first] pumpkin donuts with cream cheese frosting to these strawberry cake donuts from around this time last year. There have also been vanilla chai donuts, gingerbread Christmas donuts, and the funfetti birthday cake donuts I made for my birthday celebration last summer. But these strawberries & champagne donuts have them all beat! They’re boozy, easy to make, and dream to eat. Plus, aren’t they just the cutest little things?!
While these donuts kind of scream Valentine’s Day, I could (and will) eat them at any time of year. All of the ingredients are common and easily found at any run-of-the-mill grocery store, assuming yours carries champagne. 🙂 Pop the cork, get to baking, and sip on the rest (responsibly, of course) while you do it. These strawberries & champagne donuts are a wonderful way to treat yourself and/or the one you love.
I recommend baking up a batch for girls night in, potlucks, or a fun and romantic V-Day dessert. These strawberries & champagne donuts are great for most any occasion, though maybe not quite right for little ones or those under 21 years of age. That’s because the recipe is not shy with the champagne. You can taste it in the donuts themselves and especially in the glaze–which is essentially champagne and powdered sugar!
For more strawberry goodness, check out these easy DIY Romantic Fruit Arrangements or The Best Box-Mix Brownies Ever. Valentine’s Day is fast-approaching so be on the lookout for more fun recipes and ideas over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for reading!
Romantic and sweet baked cake donuts flavored with fresh strawberries and bubbly champagne
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pint strawberries diced
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup champagne
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons champagne
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- sugar sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together in a large bowl then add strawberries and dredge to coat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix remaining donut ingredients. Add to bowl of dry ingredients and mix until uniform and no lumps or dry pockets exist. Batter will be thick and sticky.
- Convey batter into a piping bag or zip-top bag with one corner snipped off and pipe into donut tin.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until donuts are risen and firm. Tops will not brown. Stick a toothpick through one donut near the middle of the pan to see if it comes out clean, if necessary.