Ever eat cake for breakfast? It’s ok–this is a judgement-free zone and I have, too (many times)! August is my birth month and, if there’s any time you should be allowed cake for breakfast, it’s on your birthday, right? Last year, I made this brown butter vanilla cake with salted caramel frosting and this year I wanted to do something a little different–something that I could eat for breakfast without getting a side-eye. Before you point it out, I know that cake donuts are basically cupcakes. 🙂 I mean, these funfetti birthday cake donuts even have frosting and sprinkles. And they aren’t just for birthdays, either. They are the kind of dessert you can impress guests with or take to an office event to wow your coworkers. Want to be the envy of the school bake sale? Make these.
On my birthday this year, I spent time with family, got a little pampering in, had dinner with friends at my favorite Houston restaurant, and made these donuts. They are SO good, y’all. I confirmed the goodness with another batch, shared them on my Instagram, and got lots of questions and requests for the recipe so here it is. As you can see, these funfetti birthday cake donuts scream “fun” on a platter. They aren’t difficult to create, either. To make them, I played with the donut recipe that is the base for my pumpkin donuts, among many others (more below) then referred to the Sally’s Baking Addiction for the glaze.
Tools to Make Birthday Cake Donuts
This time around, I upgraded from my trusty little donut tin to this 20-count one in order to make all the birthday cake donuts in one go. You can find these Wilton pans on Amazon or at Bed Bath & Beyond (hello, coupons!) and I highly recommend them. They are probably carried other places as well. I also got to break in my new cooling rack with this bake. As a cautionary note: I tried the 6-count donut pans from World Market a couple of batches ago and they yielded some pretty sad-looking donuts so I don’t recommend those. I love so many other things at World Market, though!
I’ve got a more legit breakfasty donut recipe in the works so stay tuned. Sharing is caring so be sure to pin this recipe on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
P.S. more donuts to bake:
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup milk I used unsweetened almond
- 1/2 cup funfetti sprinkles
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup milk I used unsweetened almond
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix baking flour, baking powder, sprinkles, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix remaining donut ingredients then add to bowl of dry. Mix well then pipe into donut pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Tops will not brown.
- Meanwhile, mix up glaze in a smaller bowl. Dip one side of each warm donut in glaze then set aside. Once cool, dip the same sides in the glaze again and finish with more sprinkles.