Welcome to week two of my dining room makeover as part of the One Room Challenge! I used an exclamation point so that means it’s exciting, right? Right. Last week I shared the mood board that will serve as my visual inspiration for the finished room and here’s a picture of the starting point below. As you can see, it’s pretty sparse. Just this table from Wayfair, two armchairs and four side chairs, each from Amazon so far.
Week two of this dining room makeover process has been full of online searching for fixtures and finishings but little hands-on work. One thing that did get done is covering the ghost chairs. Ghost chairs are a super trendy item and if you search on Pinterest, you’ll find endless inspiration for how to style them at a dining room or vanity table. There isn’t much out there about covering them, though, and, while they aren’t uncomfortable, I wanted to add something to warm them up a bit as well as further formalize the dining room. I purchased this gray faux wolf fur from Joann fabric and very easily created chair covers for not much money. I bought 1 1/2 yards of fabric in total and combined Joann’s typical sale prices with coupons for a final cost of only $6 per seat cover. Check out the tutorial below for the process I followed then what I plan to work on for next week’s update at the bottom of the post.
DIY Faux Fur Seat Covers Tutorial
What You’ll Need
- 1 1/2 yards Faux fur fabric of choice
- Measuring tape
- Measure fabric into 37″ x 15″ sections for side chairs and 31″ x 18″ sections for armchairs.
- Cut measured sections into pieces. For the side chairs, I left the pieces at this stage and laid them lengthwise across each seat from front to back as shown.
- For the armchairs, lay the fabric lengthwise across each seat, left to right.
- Cut a 5-inch slit from the front edge of the fabric (where the backs of your knees would rest when sitting in the chair) each side along where the arm meets the seat of the chair. This will allow the fabric to lie flat on the chair and hang down evenly on each side.
Be sure to check out all the transformations from other One Room Challenge guest participants, too!
My next project will be the wallpaper and I hope to have a before and after of the wall for y’all in next week’s update. Be sure to follow along on Instagram stories for live updates and polls when I’m indecisive. 🙂 Thanks for reading!