You can make a this sophisticated yet easy creamy matcha cocktail with gin using just a few ingredients in only five minutes.
As a tea drinker, I never got the appeal of the espresso martini. But today is not about bashing a hot trend. I'm here to give you a beautiful alternative in this easy gin martini with matcha. Let's get into the delicious details!
If you enjoy this recipe, you'll also love my iced mint matcha mocktail and my nutty pistachio matcha latte.
What does it taste like?
This is a balanced matcha cocktail for gin lovers. In addition to the bright green grassiness of high quality matcha, you'll taste nutty and earthy flavors that complement the botanical blend of your favorite gin. It's also very subtly sweet with a smooth and creamy mouth feel.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
The ingredient list here is short and simple. Here's what to add to cart when placing your grocery order, if you don't have them on hand!
- Matcha Powder is used here the way coffee is typically used in an espresso martini and is key to the flavor profile. Be sure to use high-quality ceremonial or culinary grade matcha. Take $10 off my favorite matcha brand!
- Amaretto Liqueur adds sweetness and helps smooth out this drink. The flavor is almond-y so if you don't have access to amaretto, almond simple syrup or orgeat can provide a similar taste.
- Gin because you can't make a green tea gin cocktail without it! I typically use etiher Citadelle Gin or Hendrick's Gin for this recipe but feel free to use the brand you prefer.
- Almond Milk is what gives us the creaminess and takes the place of Kahlúa and other coffee cream liqueurs that are used in the espresso version. I recommend using an unsweetened and unflavored milk.
- Nutmeg adds a finishing sweetly spiced flavor to the martini that greets your nose as you lift the glass to sip. Do I have to use fresh nutmeg or can I use ground? I’ve tried both ways and either works, however, freshly ground nutmeg will give you the freshest and sharpest taste and aroma.
- Hot Water
What else can I make with matcha? Try my ice cold Pineapple Matcha Mint Smoothie!
Tips & Tools
Firstly, you'll need a bamboo whisk to dissolve the matcha in hot water. You can use a fork or a milk frother, if you don't have one. Grab a cocktail shaker to build the drink. If you're using fresh nutmeg in this recipe, you'll also need a microplane to grate it. And I recommend serving this green tea martini in a chilled coupe glass.
Can I make this drink in advance? Yes, you can mix it up a day or so ahead of time and chill until ready to serve. Shake it up again and reserve the nutmeg garnish until just before drinking.
How to Make a Matcha Martini
First, dissolve the match powder in hot water. Add this to a cocktail shaker with amaretto, almond milk, and gin, then fill halfway with ice and shake. Strain your drink into a coupe glass and finish with the nutmeg. Check out my full step-by-step instructions in the recipe card below!
More Favorite Gin Cocktails
Now that you have this fab flavored gin martini recipe in hand, go live your best life. And sharing is caring, so be sure to pin this drink for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Creamy Matcha Gin Martini
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 microplane or grater
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder ceremonial or culinary grade
- 1 ounce hot water
- 2 ounces almond milk
- 1 ½ ounce gin
- 1 ounce amaretto liqueur
- Place a clean coupe glass into the freezer or fridge to chill. (Do not do this step more than five minutes in advance so that the glass doesn't get too cold and shatter!)
- Add matcha powder to hot water and mix vigorously to dissolve, using a bamboo whisk, fork, or milk frother.
- Add prepared matcha to a cocktail shaker, followed by almond milk, gin, and amaretto.
- Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice, seal, and shake vigorously until chilled to the touch (about 8 seconds).
- Shake and strain into chilled coupe making sure to get as much liquid and foam into the glass.
- Grate fresh nutmeg over top and serve immediately.
You really have redeemed matcha for me! I loved the creamy quality of this matcha martini and have made it multiple times since this weekend. Definitely a must for mellow nights with friends and family.
Brittany Fiero says
I made your matcha martinis for my friends and they were so impressed. It's sophisticated and delicious. We all loved the creaminess and the fresh nutmeg on top!
Marcus Avery Christon says
As someone who is obsessed with matcha anything, I can say this martini recipe is a keeper! The fact that I only need a few ingredients is a major bonus!
Your cocktail combines two of my favorite beverages, tea and gin, so I knew I was going to try it. The hint of almond from the amaretto and almond milk made this cocktail irresistible - my friends adored it! Bonus points for being vegan.
I am now obsessed with matcha everything thanks to you! This cocktail was insane. I made it for a girls night in and everyone was asking me for the recipe. Delicious!
Jen Sim says
Not only did this drink taste good but it looked good too! My bestie wanted a green theme for her bday so this matcha cocktail was perfect.
Jazz, you nailed it with this Creamy Matcha Martini! I made it for my friends over the weekend and they were blown away. It's the perfect balance of flavors and oh-so-smooth. Thanks girls x
Britney Brown-Chamberlain says
I'm a huge fan of matcha but never had it with alcohol. It was surprisingly refreshing, the gin and amaretto really pair well with the earthy flavor of matcha! Def keeping it on rotation!
This matcha Martini exceeded all our expectations! It turned out so creamy and delicious!