*The subject of this post is intended for readers 21 years of age and older.
I will go ahead and say that I am not really that into watermelon. I mean, it’s better than cantaloupe for sure but I don’t typically keep it in my fridge unless I’m entertaining. A few weeks ago, I cut up and chilled one for a few folks that came over the Memorial Day weekend and it was really popular–extremely juicy and super sweet. I even enjoyed a few slices myself. I needed a contribution for a pool party about a week after that and this got my wheels turning.
This margarita-infused watermelon is an almost effortless boozy snack that you’ll definitely want to try for your next cookout, pool party, picnic or whatever. Ice cold watermelon is the ultimate summertime snack and adding this easy twist will make it even more popular at a gathering. The recipe calls for a bit of fresh mint, which is optional but adds a refreshing twist that I recommend you try. It might even combat tequila breath? I can’t make any promises. Along with the recipe, below are 5 simple tips for picking the perfect watermelon regardless of how you intend to enjoy it.
How to Pick the Perfect Watermelon
- Thump it. Then listen. The sound should be hollow.
- Look for the “field” spot. This is where the melon sat on the ground while growing and it should be yellow to golden orange in color.
- Look for brown “webbing” on the skin of the melon. It may not be pretty but is a sign of more pollination when the melon was a flower and, thus, more sweetness.
- Look at the “tail” or remnant of the vine. It should be brown. A green one indicates the melon was picked too early.
- Hold it. The melon should feel heavy for its size.
I hope these tips help you pick a few winners this summer. Whether or not this margarita-infused watermelon is your speed, you might also want to try out one of the boozy summertime creations just below. Thanks for reading!