Thank you to Simply Organic for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
I came here today to tell y'all that you do not need an ice cream maker in order to make ice cream! While this isn't exactly breaking news, it is exciting to think about the fact that you can have homemade ice cream in your freezer in just a few hours with no fancy equipment. I'm not a fan of big appliances that don't get a lot of use and an ice cream maker would fall into that category, for me. We had one when I was a child and I remember making ice cream with it maybe three times. One appliance that did come in clutch for this recipe is a food processor. I used the same food processor for both grinding the sesame seeds and whipping the cream. Other tools that will get these jobs done include a blender, hand or stand mixer, mortar and pestle, or good old-fashioned whisk and some elbow grease.
Almost more exciting than the ease of this process is the delicious flavors involved. Black sesame seeds have a unique, nutty taste that is made even deeper when they're toasted. I combined toasted black sesame seeds with a few frozen cherries and vanilla extract to create this no-churn black sesame & cherry ice cream. The result is fantastic and only requires 5 ingredients! The cherries provide bright bursts of color and fresh flavor that mesh surprisingly well with the black sesame. I got these black sesame seeds from Simply Organic, which is a company that makes seasonings, sauces, and extracts I can trust as part of the first U.S. co-op to offer fair trade spices. In addition to making, global spices readily available here in the states, they give back: 1% of sales goes to support organic farming and agriculture. I am excited to share this ice cream with y'all and hope you will look out for black sesame seeds on your next shopping trip and try it out for yourself.
This recipe is the third in a series featuring fresh cherries for the summer. I'll have another one up next week and you can check out this cocktail and this cobbler to get caught up on the last two weeks. Thanks for reading!
No-Churn Black Sesame & Cherry Ice Cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup black sesame seeds
- 1 ½ cups cherries fresh or frozen, cut in halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast sesame seeds in a skillet until they emit a nutty aroma (a few minutes).
- Grind seeds in a food processor to release oils. Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla then pulse until mixed. Mix in cherries with a spoon. Set aside.
- Beat cream in a food processor, blender, stand mixer, or by hand until peaks form. Fold into condensed milk mixture then pour into a loaf pan. Freeze for about 5 hours.