As a twenty-something (no need to get into specific numbers) year-old person, I attend my fair share of brunches. Perhaps this is most applicable to my generation but I feel that brunch is the “it” meal. You don’t have to get up quite so early in order to enjoy breakfast foods and get to combine things like chicken with things like waffles. 🙂 Additionally, beverage options are expanded. Mimosas? Yes. Shots? Yes. Brunch is like the Beyonce of meals. Unsurprisingly, I went to brunch at a friend’s home this past Saturday. I took along a carafe (standard brunch term) of fresh squeezed orange and tangelo juice and a pan of the breakfast potatoes featured in this post. They crispy oven-baked breakfast potatoes were a hit–all gone when I left AND unbelievably easy to make. I’m talking throw-everything-in-a-pan-and-put-the-pan-in-the-oven easy.
Obviously, the star of this dish is the potato but the garlic, melted butter, and smoked paprika are like those backup dancers that catch your eye and amplify the performance. Each adds delicious flavor and the butter does double duty by also helping make the potatoes crisp. The key to crispy potatoes in the oven is spreading them out in a single layer on your pan. This gives them space to do their thing and avoids steam, which will lead to sad, soft potatoes. The smell of these taters baking in the oven makes everything in range suddenly seem edible. But you can make these the night before if you’re hosting and don’t want your guests licking the walls. 🙂 Maybe that’s the kind of party you’re throwing–no judgement here! These baked breakfast potatoes are great for brunch, breakfast, lunch, dinner…just about whenever. You can easily transform them from side piece to main squeeze by adding some sausage, bacon, cheese, or whatever protein you prefer.
I hope you try and enjoy these. Let me know below, if so. Thanks for reading!
- 5 pounds red-skinned potatoes cut into cubes
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- chopped green onion optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add all ingredients to a large baking sheet and mix until potatoes are coated with butter and spices.
- Spread in a single layer on pan. This is key to getting the potatoes nice and crispy.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, checking and turning, if necessary, throughout.
- Garnish with green onion, if desired.