Tis the season for holiday baking, right? I haven't actually been doing a whole lot of that this December because it's been a busier winter than usual. Things are usually slower in my day job and busier with the blog as Christmas approaches but both are pretty much popping, right now. I recently shared with y'all that I'm jump-starting my 2019 goals, which include studying for a senior HR certification to advance my corporate career, focusing on organization, and keeping a closer eye on my finances. Here's the full post, in case you missed it. 🙂 Since I don't want y'all to miss out on any fun holiday desserts just because I'm swamped, let's revisit a Christmas recipe I made a while back but hadn't gotten around to sharing here on the blog: my vanilla peppermint pound cake!
This recipe originally appeared on Atlanta Black Star last December. You can check out more about it here. The taste of this vanilla peppermint pound cake is very similar to my super popular candy cane cookies. but with the familiar texture you'd expect from a pound cake. The base of this recipe is my grandma's standard pound cake formula. It's the same one I followed to create this Sweet Tea Pound Cake and this Pineapple Pound Cake over the years. Seasonal tweaks like crushed peppermint candy and peppermint extract, plus a healthy dose of vanilla make it perfectly appropriate for all of your holiday baking needs. Potluck? Yes, ma'am! Christmas dinner? Mm-hmm. Tacky Christmas sweater party? Of course.
This festive cake will look wonderful on your table, too. Since it's moist and not lacking in the flavor department, I decided to go with a simple dusting of powdered sugar to make it pretty and provide perfect winter feels. I don't think we're getting snow in Houston anytime soon and, if the climate where you live is similar, get your white Christmas on with this vanilla peppermint pound cake, girl! If you love peppermint around the holidays or any other time of year, check out these yummy recipes, too:
Happy holiday baking and thanks for reading!
Vanilla Peppermint Pound Cake
- 1 pound butter softened to room temperature
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups flour
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt or tube (angel food cake) pan and set aside.
- Cream butter in a mixer or food processor until smooth and a slightly lighter shade of yellow. Add eggs, sugar, extracts, and milk and continue mixing until uniform.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, sea salt, and crushed peppermint candy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and beat until uniform and smooth. It may be necessary to hand stir a couple of times in order to ensure no pockets of flour remain.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake on middle rack of oven for about an hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into multiple sections of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan. Cool completely then sift powdered sugar over top before serving.
Katrina Adams says
This looks delicious and moist!!!! Good Luck with all of your 2019 goals!! 🎄🎄🎄
I love peppermint candy canes, so this recipe definitely gives me some holiday feels! I live Florida, so I’m not going to hold my breath for a white Christmas either lol def want to give this a try!!