You need a one-pan wonder chicken dinner full of fresh produce and flavorful herbs and spices--ready in just 30 minutes! This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Walmart. The opinions and text are all mine. Originally published September 2018. Last updated March 2023.
You're here for a quick fix meal that delivers on filling flavor. Not to brag, but I'm about to deliver. Fresh tomato basil chicken is a scrumptious 30-minute skillet dinner (or lunch) everyone will love. And it's made with locally grown produce found at Walmart! Let's get into it.
If you enjoy this easy dinner recipe, check out my vegetarian pasta skillet, too. You'll also love my wonton power bowl!
What does it taste like?
This is one of my favorite light summertime dinner recipes because it has such fresh, seasonal flavor. There's savory, subtle heat, sweet herbaceous, and a little tanginess going on. You'll also taste rich and slightly fruity notes from cooking in both butter and olive oil. If you've have my tomato basil chicken soup, it will taste familiar.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
This simple recipe clocks in at exactly 30 minutes and, if you multi-task a little, even fewer. Here's what to add to your grocery list.
- Chicken Breast provides the protein. We're butterflying it for quicker cooking time. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, if you prefer. Either way, it's seasoned simply and pan-fried in a bit of olive oil.
- Heavenly Villagio San Marzano Tomatoes are locally grown at Village Farms in Marfa, Texas, and carried at Walmart. Before incorporating the tomatoes into my tomato basil chicken, I got to taste them at Pondecheri in Chef Anita Jaisinghani's seasonal Khichri + Soup dish as part of Walmart's Rediscovering America program.
- Basil adds sweetness and freshness to the dish. Opt for fresh basil from the produce section. If you need to substitute with dried basil, use just ¼ the amount.
- Red Pepper Flakes, also called crushed red pepper can be adjusted to taste. I like more heat so if you don't, start with half the amount and taste test from there.
- Butter & Olive Oil - yes both! For layered flavor.
- Salt & Pepper
Can I use just olive oil? Yes, and it will still be delicious!
Tips & Tools
Grab a large skillet, as well as a cutting board and sharp knife. You'll also need a kitchen spoon. And that's about it. Easy.
When to add basil to a dish? sprinkle the basil over top just after cutting the heat. No need to cook it with the other produce.
Can I make it ahead of time? Yes. This is an excellent meal prep chicken recipe. Refrigerate it in an airtight container and it will keep for up to five days.
How to Make It
Simply season your chicken breast and pan-fry it in olive oil. While the chicken does its thing in the pan, I like to slice and dice up my veggies, which cuts out that little five minutes of prep time. After that, use butter to cook down the locally-grown tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Juicy tender chicken, spicy sautéed veggies, and a hint of sweetness from the basil all come together wonderfully in one pan and the result will make you proud of yourself!
How to Serve
Not only are we talking about a one pan family meal for easy cleanup, we're also talking versatility. My basil & tomato chicken breast is a great option for keto, paleo, and Whole30 lifestyles. It stands alone beautifully.
But if you want to add grains to the mix, you can! Rice and pasta pair perfectly here. so does quinoa. I typically reach for a heat-and-eat option to keep everything under half an hour.
Is this a PCOS friendly recipe?
Yes. My tomato & basil skillet chicken is a high protein dish made with healthy fat and even has some fiber. It's also full of vitamins and other important hormone balancing nutrients like lycopene and vitamin C. Check out the recipe card for full nutritional information and here are more recipes for people with PCOS!
More Favorite Quick Chicken Recipes
Lemon Garlic Chicken & Rice Soup
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Tray Bake
Orange Maple Cast Iron Chicken
Sticky Spicy Peanut Chicken Wings
Now that you have chicken dinner in 30 minutes, go live your best life with all the extra time. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Easy Weeknight Tomato Basil Chicken
- 1 skillet
- 1 knife
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 ounces baby tomatoes
- 6 leaves basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- juice of one lemon
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high flame.
- Cut each chicken breast in half (butterfly-style) so that you end up with four thin pieces. Season both sides of each piece with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add chicken breasts to heated pan and saute until cooked through (about six minutes on each side) then remove from pan and reduce heat to medium.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare remaining ingredients: chop onion, mince or crush garlic, cut tomatoes into halves, and slice basil into thin strips.
- Add butter to skillet and allow to melt then add prepared tomatoes, garlic, onion, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, and more salt and pepper to taste. Stir all ingredients to evenly coat in butter and spices then raise heat to medium high.
- Cook for about eight minutes or until tomatoes start to break down and onions are translucent and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Return chicken to pan and sprinkle basil over top. Serve warm.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Walmart. The opinions and text are all mine.
Sarah Althouse says
This is combining many of my favorite ingredients! Thanks for the recipe.
I rarely have a lot of time to cook for myself on weeknights, this was quick and simply but flavorful. I opted for potatoes on the side rather than purchasing the pasta, but I’ll definitely make this again!
So glad you enjoyed it, Kristy!
Crystal // Dreams, etc. says
This sounds so good! Tomato basil is one of my favorite flavor combinations!
This looks so good -- and easy! I love the combo of chicken and basil. It would make a great weeknight dinner.
This looks SO GOOD! I need to try this out - what a perfect dinner recipe!
I bet my fiancé would love this recipe!
Laura Templeman says
Great dish! I made it fort husband and myself tonight and it was a hit!
Thanks for letting me know, Laura! Glad y'all enjoyed it. 🙂
With all the fuzz in our household the last few weeks, quick dinners are always a win. It was so satisfying! I love a good chicken pasta dish and you delivered. Thanks!
I am so happy I found this recipe! It was perfect, super simple, super delicious, in my family absolutely enjoyed it. Thank you so much for the recipe!
I love anything with fresh basil. It is one of my favourite herbs! This recipe was a hit. The combination of flavours were spot on. Plus it was ready in just 30 minutes! I’ll definitely be making this one again.
Britney Brown says
We thoroughly enjoyed this recipe! We loved it so much that we made it twice last week!
I love the flavors of this chicken dish! Plus, it was super easy to make. I served it over cauliflower rice for a tasty low carb meal!
Super easy and really filling as well! I served mine with some roast potatoes and I enjoyed each flavorful bite! Making this this coming thursday once again!