Praline cream cheese frosting is perfectly spreadable, sweet, and deeply buttery with a touch of tanginess.
I love cake. Honestly, most any kind of dessert can get it but cake has a special place in my heart. And it must be frosted. I'm not one of those people who scrapes half the frosting off my cake or cupcakes. Give me all of it! Today's praline cream cheese frosting recipe is unique yet simple with the browned buttery notes of sweet pralines and classic tangy cream cheese. You'll want to spread it all over any and every kind of cake and pipe it onto cupcakes, ASAP. Let's get into the details.
If you love praline flavors, try these recipes next!
This is essentially my praline frosting recipe with cream cheese and I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. It's a delightful twist that works anywhere you'd use cream cheese frosting and anywhere you'd use praline or nutty brown butter frosting. It makes a good frosting for classic red velvet cake or a carrot cake frosting alternative--more on that coming soon! Try this frosting for sugar cookies, too.
Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
To make this ultra rich and creamy frosting, start with some good ole praline sauce. Then add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and a bit of vanilla extract. Here are all the ingredients:
- Brown Sugar
- Cream Cheese (block style not the spreadable kind!)
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Combine the brown sugar, butter, and heavy cream in a saucepan and let the mixture bubble and simmer for about 10 minutes. This is the praline sauce part. Normally, I'd stir in pecans at this stage to complete the effect but, in this recipe, I save them for the cake frosting stage as a nice garnish. Let the praline sauce cool then whip up softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Mix in the cooled praline sauce and beat until thick and fluffy. The result is buttery and glossy but still firm enough to pipe onto cupcakes. This recipe yields 2 cups of frosting.
I hope you enjoy my unique frosting recipe very soon on a birthday cake or even just off your finger. Sharing is caring so make sure you pin this recipe on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
How to Make Cream Cheese Praline Frosting
Praline Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and heavy cream and stir well until mixture is uniform.
- Bring praline sauce to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool about 30 minutes.
- Add softened cream cheese, sea salt, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and beat at medium speed until smooth and uniform.
- Add in sifted powdered sugar and beat at low speed until a smooth frosting forms. Add cooled praline sauce, scrape down sides of bowl, and beat at medium speed until frosting is uniform and fluffy.