I've kind of been slacking in the appetizer recipe department so today, I present these goat cheese cherry appetizer bites. They're one-bite morsels that are sweet, savory, tart, creamy, and a little buttery all at once. Best of all, they're easy! Get into all the details below.
These goat cheese cherry appetizer bites incorporate the sweet and savory flavors of fresh cherries, thyme, and goat cheese on top of flaky puff pastry. And, as sophisticated as they may sound, they're very simple to make. I start off with fresh cherries, sprigs of thyme and a few other ingredients in a saucepan. While this mixture cooks down into a sweet and savory kind of syrup, cut up one sheet of puff pastry and place a bit of goat cheese on each piece.
The cherries cook down into a thick compote that's ready to drizzle over the goat cheese and puff pastry just as it all comes out of the oven. This recipe makes a lot of (42!) appetizer bites so it's perfect for a party. I ate these with a group of girlfriends and shared the rest to my colleagues--they were a hit with each group. Were we not at work, I'd have added a round of these cherry spritzers to make it a party!
I've been working my way through the pounds of fresh cherries provided to me by Northwest Cherry Growers and have one or two more recipes to share over the next few weeks. These goat cheese cherry appetizer bites were preceded by a lemon and ginger cherry pie and the aforementioned spritzer recipe.
Slate Cheese Board (from this post)
Stay tuned for one an easy homemade cherry pop tarts recipe next week. 🙂 And check even more cherry creations just below. Thanks for reading!
- Cherry Elderflower Cocktail
- Summer Rosé Sangria
- Easy Cherry Jam
- Crockpot Cherry Apple Crisp
- Cherry Pineapple Margs
- Cherry Black Sesame Ice Cream
- Cherry Ginger Smoothie
Goat Cheese Cherry Appetizer Bites
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 3 cups cherries pitted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut pastry into one-inch squares. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and press the center of each square with your thumb to make an indentation. Place about ½ teaspoon of goat cheese in each indentation.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffed up.
- While the pastry and goat cheese bake, add remaining ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cherries will begin to release juices. Stir until sugar is dissolved in the liquid and cook until bubbling (about 3 minutes). Reduce heat to medium low and let mixture simmer and thicken (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally to break down cherries.
- Spoon about ½ teaspoon of cherry mixture over each bite. Serve warm.
Marta Rivera Diaz says
Yes! I'm loving everything about this appetizer! The cherries and the puff pastry seal it for me!
Yum! perfect tasty and classy appetizer for a party
Lawd I would probably eat through the whole sheet of these LOL These look amazing.
Lol my friends saved me from doing that. This recipe makes the perfect amount for a party but it’s dangerous to test when nobody else is home!
Leigh Suznovich says
Oh my goodness, this looks incredible! So perfect and elegant for a summer party.
How wonderfully delectable. I just love these dishes that I can follow through.