This dark chocolate chai baked oatmeal recipe is an easy make-ahead breakfast that tastes like dessert and is dairy free! has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SameSilkySmoothTaste #CollectiveBias Originally published October 2017. Last updated November 2022.
Today we're diving into a 30-minute breakfast meal prep in just three steps: mix, spread, and bake. My chocolate chai oatmeal recipe is easy and delicious and bound to become a family favorite. Let's get into the details!
If you like unique oatmeal recipes, try these, too!
What Does it Taste Like?
This flavored baked oatmeal has rich earthy, chocolatey flavor balanced with a bit of bitterness characteristic of dark chocolate. It's also nutty and sweet with warming, woodsy, and even slightly citrusy notes from the combination of chai spices. Texture-wise, chocolate baked oats are chewy and light but still filling.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
For a chocolate oatmeal recipe kids will love as well as adults, here's what to add to your grocery list.
- Chai Spices
- Coconut Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Cocoa Powder
- Rolled Oats
- Sea Salt
- Silk® Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
- Unsweetened Applesauce
I use Silk® Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk, unsweetened applesauce, and coconut oil to create this easy chai chocolate oatmeal with no banana and am so pleased with the result. It's lightly sweet, full of flavor, and a filling and convenient start to the day.
Making the Chai Spice Blend
Simply combine the following spices in their proper proportions then scoop out a spoonful for this recipe. You'll want to have the mix on hand for future breakfasts, as well.
- Black Pepper
You can also purchase pre-mixed chai spices as a shortcut.
Tips & Tools for Easy Baked Oatmeal
Grab a mixing bowl and a silicone spatula for this recipe. If you're chopping the almonds, you'll also need a cutting board and a sharp knife. And everything bakes up in a square baking dish. What kind of pan to bake oatmeal in? I prefer glass or ceramic pans for baking oatmeal but metal pans work, as well.
Are baked oats the same as oatmeal? I make this chocolate and chai spiced oatmeal in the oven for convenience. In comparison to regular oatmeal, it's handheld and thus, more portable than a bowl of oatmeal. But you'll notice it has the same ingredients. the difference is in the proportions and the addition of a binding ingredient like applesauce or eggs to hold it together neatly.
How to keep baked oatmeal fresh? Cut into dark chocolate oatmeal bars and store refrigerated in an airtight container. Your oatmeal will keep up to 10 days this way.
Which kind of milk should I use for baking oatmeal? Silk® Unsweetened Almondmilk or Silk® Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk are my go-tos, which I grab from Walmart, because they're dairy and lactose free. It's my cereal's best friend and a smart swap for milk in my recipes. Check out more #PlantBasedGoodness recipe inspiration here.
I see a decadent make-ahead hot breakfast in your very near future. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin this chocolate for breakfast recipe for later and follow me over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Healthy Chocolate Oats Recipe
Dark Chocolate Chai Baked Oatmeal
- 4 cups rolled oats not quick or "instant" oats
- ⅓ cup almonds sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chai spice
- 1 ⅔ cup Silk Vanilla Unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup Maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- dash sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with nonstick oil spray and set aside.
- Combine oats, almonds, cocoa powder, chai spice, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup, and coconut oil until uniform and no dry pockets remain in the mixture.
- Spread into a square prepared baking pan. Transfer to oven to bake for about 25 minutes or until top of oatmeal is firm when pressing down on it with your fingers (but not hardened).
- Cool to room temperature then slice into six pieces. Store covered in the fridge. Keeps for up to 10 days.