Creamy, comforting chicken & mushroom soup can be on your dinner table in just 30 minutes. It is so delicious you'll want to lick the bowl afterwards! Originally posted October 2018. Last updated September 2021.
What's the temperature like around where you live? Right about now, it's a brisk 80 degrees in Houston and we've had quite a bit of rain lately. Not exactly autumnal but at least it's no longer scorching. I'm not sure when we'll get the cozy weather, crunchy leaves, and such that signify an official change of season but I will be ready for the first hint of a breeze with this chicken & mushroom soup recipe. Eating a bowl of it feels just as cozy as slipping into your favorite chunky sweater, soft leggings, and fuzzy socks. Let's dive into soup season with this easy and flavorful low carb soup recipe.
If you love making easy soup recipes, check these out next!
Keto Chicken Mushroom Soup Ingredients
When I set out to make this creamy chicken soup, I didn't intend for it to be keto or low-carb but it turned out that way naturally. I was actually trying to make a copycat of Grand Lux chicken & mushroom soup and think I surpassed that. What I love most about this recipe, aside from the flavor, is how simple it is. You probably have most of these ingredients on hand. Here's what you'll need to make it.
- Black Pepper
- Boneless Skinless Chicken (Breast or Thighs)
- Chicken Broth
- Dried Thyme
- Heavy Cream
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
Tools You'll Need for this Recipe
This is a magical one-pot soup so you won't need to dirty up many dishes. Use a deep pot, like this dutch oven or stainless steel soup pot. Also have a sharp knife handy and, of course a cutting board. I like to cut up aromatics like the onion and garlic on a different board than the one I use for fruits and smoothies to keep the flavors from getting stuck in the wood and mingling. I also cut up my raw chicken on a separate cutting board. This cutting board set will cover you for all of that. Lastly, grab your wooden kitchen spoon. Now, we're ready to cook, honey!
Easy Soup Tips
- What kind of mushrooms to use for chicken mushroom soup? I like baby bella or white cello mushrooms in this soup but a variety of different ones would work just fine. Feel free to use your favorite!
- Can you put raw chicken in soup to cook? You can technically cook the chicken with the veggies in this soup without issue as long as everything in the soup gets fully cooked through. I prefer to cook the chicken and vegetables separately, though, in order to avoid crowding the pot and get a bit of a sear on the chicken.
- Can I double this recipe? You can certainly double this recipe. Just be sure you have a pot large enough to accommodate or separate it into two batches.
- Can I make this soup ahead of time? You can make my creamy mushroom chicken soup ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to three days before serving. Keep in mind that the butter will solidify and it will be necessary to give the soup a good stir after reheating.
- Can this creamy soup be frozen? Yes. You can absolutely freeze this soup. I recommend dividing it into individual portions for easy defrosting in souper cubes or airtight food storage containers. Let the soup thaw either in the fridge or on your countertop before reheating.
What to Serve with This Soup
Soup recipes should be easy and I'm of the same opinion when it comes to what to add to them. If you aren't carb conscious, I recommend adding some brown rice to the soup or, my personal favorite, scooping it up with crusty bread. I'm also a fan of pairing this with a good salad. Try one of these options for a full meal.
- Massaged Kale Salad with Pears
- Simple Celebration Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
- Ultimate Autumn Salad with Delicata Squash
I hope you'll enjoy a warm bowl of this creamy goodness very soon. And sharing is caring so be sure to pin my quick soup recipe for fall over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into one-inch chunks
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high flame. Season chicken breast with sea salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pot and cook until golden brown and cooked through then remove from pot.
- While chicken cooks, dice onion, mince garlic, and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter to pot to melt. Add in thyme, garlic, onion, carrots, mushrooms, and a little more sea salt and black pepper; stirring and cooking until tender (about six minutes). Garlic should be fragrant and onions should start to turn translucent.
- Add chicken back to the pot then stir in chicken broth, frozen peas, and heavy cream. Increase heat to medium-high and cover pot.
- Cook until heated through and bubbly (about 15 minutes). Remove from flame and (carefully) serve hot.
Tanvi Rastogi says
That looks so rich and hearty. Love your presentation and the pictures too. Perfect for the fall/winter weather.
I literally adore mushroom soup, I need to try your version, it looks delcious
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Ohmygah!! My husband is "one of those mushroom" people! I swear it boggles my mind! I loooove the looks of this soup and will be giving it a go, soon. It looks awesome (the more mushrooms the merrier)!
YES--the more mushrooms the merrier, haha!
Leigh Suznovich says
Oh this looks so yummy, warming and comforting for fall!
Cammeo Murray says
This recipe looks so easy and perfect for those cold winter days ?
It couldn't be easier and it is SO comforting! We haven't gotten even a hint of chill in the air here yet but that isn't stopping me lol.
This looks amazing. I will definitely have to give this a try especially since it’s under 30 mins.
Oh my!! This looks great, Jazz! I can’t wait to try it. I love mushrooms on everything! Xx
JAMALA WALLACE says
Wow!! This soup looks sooooo yummy!! I've saved this and sent this to my twin 🙂 I can't wait to try it. I just found your blog and you've got a new follower
Thanks, Jamala! I appreciate you following along and hope you love the soup. ❤️
Do you have the nutritional information?
Hi, Kia! I've updated the recipe card with nutrition information.
What is the Nutrition on this yummy Soup? I made it and it is just wonderful, but didn't see where the carb and calorie content is...
Hi, Jamie! I've updated the recipe card with the nutrition information.
Do you know if this could be adapted for the Instant Pot?
Hi, Caroline. I'm sure this could be adapted for an Instant Pot! Unfortunately, I don't use one so can't advise.
Hi! Is this freezer friendly to heat up at a later date?
Hi, Christine! Yes, you can freeze and reheat this soup. You'll need to let the frozen soup thaw in the fridge or on your counter before heating.
Not only did this soup take no time to create, it tasted incredible!
The creaminess of the broth was cozy and perfect on this rainy day. Will be making this again.
The evenings are cooling down a bit, and I just had to try this soup. The flavors are deep and throughout the broth. Absolutely delicious.
This is the perfect soup for cool and cozy day! It is even better that I can make it keto friendly.
This was the perfect fall dish for our family. Loved that everything came together in 30 minutes. Definitely adding this recipe into our rotation!
This was really easy to make and had great flavors. Will be in the regular rotation all soup season long!
Chef Mireille says
This creamy soup was so delicious - perfect for the cooler temperatures and I love the extra protein punch from both the chicken and the mushrooms
Crystal DaCruz says
This soup was so hearty and delicious and I love that I could make it in one pot! Thanks for sharing!
I love how quickly and easily this soup came together! It tastes so good. I've already had two bowls! Thanks for the recipe
This soup was so simple to make and SO comforting! Thanks for this recipe!
This was super hearty and i enjoyed every sip. I made it extra filling by having it with some garlic bread! Can't wait to make it again!
Britney Brown says
This was such a quick and easy recipe! We made it on Monday and had leftovers for lunch, it was so delicious, we all loved it!