Turn your kitchen into a coffeehouse! Make this warm and cozy fall drink with apple butter in just minutes with three ingredients including classic chai spices. Originally published October 2021. Last updated October 2022.
As soon as September hits, my morning routine has to get cozy. Never mind the fact that the temperatures still say it's summer outside. In this house, give me all the warm, seasonal fall flavors for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This apple butter chai latte is my current morning go-to because it's simple and perfectly autumnal. Think of a Starbucks apple crisp latte but with chai instead of espresso and you're on the right track. If you're ready to make this fall latte at home, start scrolling, boo.
And if you love cozy morning drinks without coffee, try these recipes, too!
What Does it Taste Like?
I fell in love with an apple chai drink at a cafe on Cozumel earlier this year and was determined to recreate it at home. I'm not exactly sure what the recipe was but what I came up with in my kitchen is creamy, dreamy, and the perfect balance between sweet apple and earthy, spicy chai--all in a latte! You'll taste notes of sweet juicy apple, sweet brown sugar or molasses, and the warming spices of chai.
If you ever order the chai-der or iced apple chai at Starbucks, you'll love this one. As a very infrequent coffee drinker, I'm intimately familiar with all their non-coffee offerings and my apple butter chai can go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters, including the caramel apple spice. Plus it's easier and much cheaper than running out to the cafe.
What You'll Need for this Recipe
Three ingredients are all you need to achieve this morning goals drink. I dare you to find an easier apple chai latte recipe out in these internet streets. Here's what you'll need:
- Apple Butter - I love the Kyvan Honey Apple Butter. It's one of my fall Black brand picks.
- Chai Spice Blend for Tea
I've been loving this apple butter lately and think it would make a fab holiday gift, too. Obviously, I highly recommend it but feel free to use the apple butter of your choice. My homemade chai spice mix makes for easy instant chai lattes of all kind so it is essential in this recipe. It takes the place of a tea bag in a quicker and much more authentic way. If you need to use a tea bag, grab these chai bags for the most authentic flavor.
Lastly, use whatever milk you prefer. This can be a completely dairy-free chai latte if you use any plant-based milk. I am partial to nut milks or oat milk in my apple butter chai drink because they lend the right amount of creaminess.
How to Make a Fancy Latte at Home
I'm not even gone hold you. Here's how to make a chai latte from scratch.
- Add the apple butter and instant chai to a deep, heat-safe container. You can use a deep measuring cup, like I do or a small saucepan would also work.
- Add in your warm milk. You can heat it up on the stove or with a milk steamer if you're one of those super fancy at-home baristas. I pop my milk into the microwave for three minutes to get it to the perfect steamy state for my homemade lattes.
- Froth the mixture. In my experience, the quickest (and most fun) way to do this is with a milk frother (under $15!). It mixes everything up and adds a bit of air to the situation so you even wind up with cafe-style cloud foam.
From here, just pour your latte into a mug. When I'm feeling extra and want to take just a couple minutes more for myself, I sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top and even garnish the chai with a fresh apple slice or a cinnamon stick. If there was ever a time to slow down and do it up a little, it's now, right? Right.
I see a warm, cozy, sweet and spicy start to your day tomorrow and hope you can now enjoy a coffeehouse style chai latte whenever the mood strikes you. And sharing is caring so make sure you pin this easy apple chai latte over on Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Easy Apple Chai Latte Recipe
Apple Butter Chai Latte
- 1 teaspoon instant chai powder
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 cup milk steaming hot
- Add chai powder and apple butter to a deep, heat-safe container.
- Carefully pour in steaming hot milk.
- Use a frothing wand or immersion blender to combine all ingredients into a uniform mixture and create foam, to your preference.
- Carefully transfer latte to glass mug and enjoy warm.
France's Boston says
This is one of the best fall/winter drinks ever!
Thank you, Frankie! So glad you enjoyed it.