Fall officially starts in a few days but real Fall weather won’t reach us Houstonians for a while longer. Despite that, I am already getting into it with a bit of seasonal baking as well as some updates around my home (more on that to come) so thought I’d share a recipe that’s been on my list to make for a while and finally came to life in my kitchen this past weekend: chai-spiced pumpkin snickerdoodles. This is a classic snickerdoodle recipe, minus the cream of tarter and egg. Pumpkin takes the place of the egg, like in my pumpkin maple baked oatmeal, and I didn’t find the cream of tartar necessary. It isn’t something I typically keep in my pantry and I think the cookies turned out just fine. So, if you’re like me, this is an easy snickerdoodle recipe without cream of tartar. 🙂
Each little ball of dough is rolled in a mixture of sugar and chai spice mix then baked to perfection. The resulting chai-spiced pumpkin snickerdoodles are light, moist, and addictive. I had to restrain myself from eating the whole batch and took them over to my non-pumpkin-eating family, who gobbled them right up! This recipe makes sixteen soft, chewy cookies and I use my favorite full sheet pan to bake the full batch all at once.
I’m also fond of this cooling rack (and it makes me feel like such an official baker!) for letting the cookies cool properly. I’ve gotten a few questions lately about tweaks to make my recipes vegan friendly and, although pumpkin makes up for the absence of an egg in this dough, there is still butter. If you’re looking for a plant-based way to whip these up, try replacing the butter with coconut oil or applesauce. 🙂
I promise there’s more pumpkin goodness to come this Fall but, in the meantime, check out these past favorites:
- Pumpkin Maple Baked Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Spicy AF Salsa
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Perfect Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
By the way, if you haven’t yet taken my annual reader survey, click here to take it before Thursday and be you’ll be entered to win a $50 Visa gift card. Thanks for reading!
Classic, bite-sized snickerdoodle cookies flavored with a chai spice mixture and pumpkin
- 3/4 cup white sugar 1/4 cup for rolling cookies in
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chai spice
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup white sugar, pumpkin puree, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth and uniform.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix remaining sugar and chai spice together. Spoon out dough and roll into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll in chai-sugar mixture then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about one inch apart.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. Edges should lightly brown but tops will not brown.
- Cool on pan for about 10 minutes then finish cooling on rack, if desired.