Do you have any holiday baking traditions? In my family, cookies are the big thing. Specifically, these candy cane cookies. They've been pinned thousands of times over on Pinterest and my family members actually get angry with me if I don't make them every year. Go figure. So I try to stick to what works and don't experiment with new Christmas cookie recipes too often. This year, I added a batch of chewy gingerbread cocoa cookies to the mix and they've been going over so well that I thought I'd share them with you, too. Wondering what gingerbread cocoa cookies tast like? Just think about dunking a warm, soft gingerbread cookie into a mug of hot chocolate. Boom--there it is.
How do I Make Gingerbread Cocoa Cookies?
These chewy Christmas cookies have all the classic gingerbread flavors (ginger, molasses, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove) plus cocoa powder for rich, chocolatey flavor to perfectly balance everything out. Gingerbread plays so well with other flavors (peep these sweet potato gingerbread muffins) and cocoa is a no-brainer at Christmastime, right? Each little ball of dough is coated in granulated and powdered sugar before they bake up into soft crinkle cookie rounds. Make a batch of chewy gingerbread cocoa cookies and they will definitely cause a stir at the Christmas cookie swap.
What is Gingerbread?
Gingerbread is basically a flavor profile that can be incorporated into cookies, cakes, muffins, and more. Around this time of year, you're probably seeing it everywhere. I'm looking at you, Starbucks. Gingerbread man cookies and houses are Christmas classics but can seem intimidating. Making a gingerbread loaf or easy roll cookies like these are approachable ways to get the flavors all up and through your holiday season! After you make chewy gingerbread cocoa cookies, try these gingerbread donuts or adorable mini bourbon gingerbread loaves. You'll suddenly be craving gingerbread all year long.
Let me know if you try these soft gingerbread cocoa cookies for the holidays. Thanks for reading!
Chewy Gingerbread Cocoa Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup molasses
- ⅛-1/4 cup milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Add flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, and sea salt to a large bowl and beat on low setting until just combined.
- Add butter and beat at medium speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (will look like wet sand).
- Add molasses and milk and continue mixing until you have a wet dough (do not over mix).
- Scoop and scrape dough onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper and wrap into a ball. Place in freezer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together powdered and granulated sugars.
- Remove cookie dough from freezer and unwrap. Scoop about three inches of dough and roll into a ball. Dip and roll in sugar mixture then place on a non-stick or parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving about two inches between each ball.
- Repeat for as many cookies as you desire to bake at a time. Wrap any unused cookie dough and store in the fridge or freezer.
- Bake cookies for 14 minutes then remove and let fully cool before handling.
Renia Butler says
Love how you didnt mention a preferred type of flour. This makes ot versatile for those of us who are living a gluten-free lifestyle!
Versatility is key! 🙂
Wooow I looove the recipe and will definitely make this. In fact I am bookmarking the recipe so I know I have it when I need it.
By the way love you pictures and your apron.
Why have I never thought to put cocoa in gingerbread!?!? It's so rich and decadent!
These look so festive and EASY to make! YUM!
These Gingerbread Cookies definitely look chewy and delicious!
I love gingerbread cookies and your pictures are delicious! Can we talk about your gorgeous apron though, love it!
Thanks, Whitney! The apron is from http://www.bespokebinny.com!
The cookies look delicious and I love the combination of cocoa and gingerbread!
Katrina Adams says
This recipe is right on time and I love chewy cookies!! 🎄🎄🎄
Adri Ruff says
These are beautiful and look absolutely delicious!
Mila Clarke Buckley says
These totally put me in the holiday spirit! GREAT recipe!
Kenya Rae says
These sound awesome and perfect for the Christmas season! Cookies are my weakness for sure.
Absolutely perfect for the holidays! Everyone at our Christmas party LOVED them!
Yay! So glad to hear that.
These are such a classic!!! Love them!