I made these strawberry cake donuts for a girls' night in a few weeks ago (full details on that here) and they were so easy and delicious, I had to give them their own post. This past October, I shared pumpkin donuts, which were perfect for Fall and quite popular here on the blog so hopefully y'all will enjoy the strawberry version, which is just as yummy and right in time for Spring!
Fresh strawberries are folded into the batter to provide color and flavor and a touch of almond lends a delicate flavor complexity. These are cake donuts so they are baked and not fried. I'm going to go ahead and say that makes them healthy. 🙂 And, since they are full of fresh fruit, you would practically be doing yourself a disservice by not eating them for breakfast, right? Of course, I used my trusty donut pan to get the job done. If you can make cupcakes, you can make these donuts! They're quite easy to make and no frosting is required. I'll just let them speak for themselves because they're that good.
Also...I'm in the middle of unpacking and trying to get my life together in my new house! Time being at a premium = a short and sweet blog post. Tuesday's post was pretty long (and super information if you're looking to buy a house any time soon) so I think a bit of brevity here balances the week out. I've got more new recipes coming up as well as some posts about the house and fun collaborations soon so stay tuned. If you, haven't yet, subscribe to get every recipe and post straight to your inbox. I promise no spam.
Today is pre-Friday so I hope you try out these donuts and have a wonderful weekend. Check out the tools I use to make these donuts below. Thanks for reading!
Sweet cake donuts with bits of fresh strawberry baked inside
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter melted
- 1 pint fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- ½ cup milk I used unsweetened almond
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add chopped strawberries and about 1 tablespoon of sugar to a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sea salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
- Add strawberries to bowl of dry ingredients and mix until coated. Then add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add batter to a piping bag or zip top bag with corner cut off. Pipe into donut pan cavities and bake for about 20 minutes. Tops of donuts will not brown.