Since Valentine's Day is in less than a week, I thought now would be the best time to share a dessert perfectly portioned for two. Now, you might have a hard time waiting for your significant other to dig into this cake. It's rich and flavorful without any special ingredients or techniques required. The smell alone while baking is mouthwatering--and this is coming from someone who isn't a major chocolate fan. I never order rich, chocolatey desserts when dining out and if you peruse the Sweet Thangs page here on the blog, you won't notice a whole lot of chocolate-based recipes. This red wine chocolate cake for two is my absolute favorite exception. It's easy to whip up, doesn't dirty many dishes, and a beautiful conclusion to any romantic dinner--or couples treat when you just want something sweet. I'm a fan of skipping dinner and getting straight to dessert sometimes. 🙂 I was first introduced to this method of making a cake for two in one cake layer pan by Julia of Bunny Baubles last fall.
This red wine chocolate cake for two is as simple as baking up one single layer of cake then frosting, cutting, and stacking. The red wine in the batter and frosting is just enough to be decadent but not enough to be dangerous and, as you would expect, pairs extremely well with the chocolate. If you're looking for traditionally-sized cake recipe that's still festive, here's a red velvet cake topped with chocolate-covered strawberries.
If you're looking for a tipsy dessert to feed more than just two, check out this strawberries & champagne donuts recipe. It's super dreamy and perfect for Valentine's Day. This naked bourbon carrot cake is another boozy favorite. If you like red wine and chocolate together, I recommend you also check out this red wine hot cocoa recipe. Thanks for reading!
P.S. More V-Day Favorites:
- DIY Romantic Fruit Arrangements
- Strawberry-Covered Brownies
- Valentine's Day Date Night In
- DIY Date Night in a Box Ideas
- Host a Galentine's Spa Night
- Galentine's Gift Guide
- Valentine's Day Flower Inspiration
Two-slice chocolate cake recipe with red wine in the batter and frosting
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 2 teaspoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, sea salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder together in a large bowl. Add remaining cake ingredients and mix until uniform. Batter will be thick.
- Convey batter into a non-stick or greased and floured round, 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove cake and allow to cool for about 15 minutes then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- While cake cools, mix up frosting ingredients.
- Once cake is cooled to room temperature, frost with frosting then cut into six equal pieces. Stack three pieces on top of on another to form two layered cake slices.