In the words of the great Oprah Winfrey [one of my close, personal besties]: "I. LOVE. BREAD." I really do. I haven't hesitated to share a number of bread recipes with y'all, either. Check out my applesauce bread, lemon berry quick bread, or spiced banana nut bread for evidence (and eye-candy). Every so often, I even place a to-go order for a loaf from Grand Lux Cafe. I always get quizzical looks and questions but it lasts me a week and since I don't often keep bread in my home, I don't feel bad. It's a treat and a glorious one at that. When my September Degustabox arrived (if you don't know what Degustabox is, click here for my rundown and another recipe) I ogled the three jars from The English Provender Company: two chutneys and a "luxury" lemon curd. I'm that skeptical person who never believes marketing claims initially so I kinda tilted my head at the word luxury. I honestly cannot think of a better descriptor, though. "Luscious" would be a good stand in. This lemon curd is something you'll want to spread over anything in sight, including my lemon zucchini bread. I contemplated putting it on pancakes or muffins but landed on this bread (which is easy to make so don't be intimidated by the use of zucchini!).
There are no hoops to jump through in order to hide the veggie. Just let the spices and other flavors do their work. The lemon zest gives it a nice hint of lemon flavor and the curd takes it all the way over the top. Dolloping some on top before baking imbibes the flavor into the top crust then you can add more as a type of glaze or spread on individual slices...or both [no shame]. Just look at how gorgeous it looks slathered on top! Scroll for the recipe and, if you want to try Degustabox for half off + free shipping, click here to use my discount code.
Let me know your thoughts on this recipe, lemon curd, or baking with veggies in general. Thanks for reading!
My Degustabox is provided in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one small lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shred zucchini and wrap in a couple of paper towels to absorb excess water.
- Mix together butter, brown sugar, honey, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, zucchini, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Mix wet with dry then mix in lemon zest.
- Transfer to a small loaf pan (greased or nonstick) and spoon lemon curd across center of batter.
- bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. Serve warm as-is or with butter or more lemon curd (my preference), if you like.