I have lots of fanciful recipe ideas and keep a running list of new things I want to try out. I do a fair amount of recipe testing for the blog and to add to my repertoire but my daily eating tends to be pretty routine. I have go-to recipes like my breakfast hash or spicy chipotle skillet meal that I prep with regularly and can make with my eyes closed. There are also go-to desserts and cocktails like my sweet potato praline bread pudding or rum punch that are so popular that I’ve made them over and over for Thanksgiving, parties, potlucks, etc. This easy classic key lime pie is one such dish.
Key lime pie is hard to mess up and one of those things that, once you learn how to make, you can turn to again and again and whip it up quickly. It only takes about 30 minutes of active prep and baking time to make before everything chills out in the fridge for a while. The other great thing about this recipe is that is requires so few ingredients–just six, to be exact. You can make the filling dairy-free, too, by using sweetened condensed milk made with your favorite non-dairy milk and vegan graham crackers or cookies. This coconut sweetened condensed milk recipe is a really easy way to make your own or you can add a can to your next Amazon Prime order here. The result is cool and creamy and the perfect balance of sweet and sour. Top it off with whipped cream and a healthy dash of key lime zest for more deliciousness and some eye candy. We’ve got triple digit temps down here in Texas so I say it’s high time for ice cold desserts!
One thing to note: be sure to use key limes in this recipe. I’ve tried making it with regular ol’ limes before and the result is just not the same. Trust me, there’s a perceptible taste difference. 🙂 If you like this easy classic key lime pie recipe, I also recommend you check out this easy apple pie and this grapefruit & ginger pie. Thanks for reading!
The perfect cool summertime dessert made easily in about 30 minutes and with just six ingredients.
- 11 graham cracker sheets crushed into crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- zest and juice of 5 key limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar and graham cracker crumbs together then mix in melted butter. Press mixture into a nine-inch pie pan and bake for about 10 minutes.
- While the crust cools, mix filling ingredients together. Pour filling into cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes. Top will be firm but won't change color.
- Allow pie to cool for about 30 minutes then transfer to fridge to set for at least two hours. Garnish with whipped cream and more lime zest, if desired.