How to make your own homemade hot cocoa mix to have instant hot chocolate any time with just four ingredients and no unnecessary stuff--also great for gifting!
I've mentioned here before that although I am not a coffee drinker, I still love a good, warm drink. Hot cocoa is one of those yummy, nostalgic concoctions that I cannot get enough of this time of year. It is the perfect companion for a solo Netflix and chill session. Walking into the office with a thermos full of it makes me look like an adult on the outside but still feel like a kid on the inside. 🙂 Perhaps the best part about it is how quick it is to make. Have you ever looked at the ingredient list of your favorite store-bought variety, though? Bleh! If you, like me, are not here for the unnecessary chemicals and preservatives then scroll down just a bit to see how incredibly easy it is to make your own homemade hot cocoa mix. Just a few ingredients, about five minutes, and you're there! Plus, I've included some of my favorite garnishes and mix-ins at the end to take your drink over the top. You might also want to check out my red wine hot chocolate or pumpkin spice hot chocolate recipes.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups cocoa powder (I use Hershey's 100% Cacao "Special Dark")
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
Makes about fifty servings.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Instructions
- Add cocoa powder, sugars, and sea salt to a large bowl.
- Mix together very well, ensuring there are no clumps.
- Transfer into a sealable container
- To serve, add one tablespoon of mix per cup of hot milk.
- Garnish as desired.
Garnish and Mix-In Ideas
- Crushed mint leaves (muddle at the bottom)
- Candy canes (use as stirrers and they'll add flavor as they melt)
- Vanilla extract
- Irish Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel (like this sauce)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Chai spice (just a pinch)
Let me know in the comments what your favorite things are to add to hot cocoa. Thanks for reading!