In continuation of this month's "all things spring" theme, let's talk about a semi-seasonal dish that is easy, tasty, and works for pretty much any meal. I served this crispy veggie puff pastry pizza for brunch but it's not necessarily a brunch pizza. You can have this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even as an appetizer. I wasn't even sure that puff pastry pizzas were a thing when I first started playing with this recipe. They're a nice little change up from flatbreads or traditional pizza dough because you basically get the toppings of your choice on a croissant. I just used a couple of sheets of puff pastry found in the frozen section of my local grocery store and spread a bit of melted butter and a head of roasted garlic across it to serve as a kind of sauce.
This particular crispy veggie puff pastry pizza is topped with brussels sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, and goat cheese. March is traditionally the tail-end of harvest season for brussels sprouts so now is definitely a great time to grab them. They roast beautifully on top of this pizza and provide a satisfying crispiness that's balanced out by the tender, flaky puff pastry. High heat and a healthy drizzle of olive oil helps ensure the veggies bake up nice and crispy. This sheet pan is my standby for everything from cookies to crispy veggies. It's large enough to bake both puff pastry sheets at once. If you love crispy brussels, you should also check out these spicy honey-roasted brussels sprouts.
Pizza is one of my favorite food groups and part of the beauty of it is that you can switch up the toppings and sauce to suit whatever you desire at any given time. This rendition is light and easy for spring but you can rotate in other seasonal veggies throughout the year, switch up the cheese, etc. I think pesto would be a great addition to this kind of dish.
You might fall in love with puff pastry after this. 🙂 If you find yourself stocking up and looking for more ways to use it, check out this Texan twist pastry braid recipe. It's full of all the flavors and textures you could want. Thanks for reading!
Crispy Veggie Puff Pastry Pizza
- 2 puff pastry sheets thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 head garlic roasted and mashed into a paste
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut into halves
- 3 cello mushrooms sliced
- handful matchstick carrots
- 4 ounces goat cheese broken into one-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unfold puff pastry and place onto a sheet pan.
- Brush with melted butter then spread roasted garlic paste across surface.
- Sprinkle mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and carrots over top, up to about one inch from the edge of the puff pastry. This will be your pizza "crust".
- Add goat cheese pieces then season with sea salt and black pepper, and drizzle olive oil over top of all the vegetables.
- Bake for about 20 or until pastry is golden brown and vegetables are crisp and lightly browned.