I don’t really do casseroles so I won’t call this a breakfast casserole. And although they share some of the same ingredients like bacon, red potatoes, green onions, eggs, and cheese, this isn’t quite like my super breakfast pie, either. Whatever it is, it’s tasty. When I make this, my house smells like I cooked a multi-course breakfast but it’s really an all-in-one dish! In addition to the aforementioned ingredients, there’s also sweet potato and a trio of spices that provide a good kick of flavor. This breakfast bake would be perfect to make ahead for Easter brunch or any old brunch if you don’t celebrate. Just cook your bacon and potatoes ahead of time and place them in the baking pan. On the day of, beat your eggs, add them to the dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. This dish is a crowd-pleaser that makes about eight servings and has a little somethin’ for everybody. It’s cheesy, savory, a bit crunchy, a little spicy, and even a tiny bit sweet from the sweet potato. In case you’re new to Dash of Jazz, I’m a fan of mixing flavors–especially sweet and spicy, as evidenced here, here, and here.
I hope your week is ending on a great note–it’s almost Friday! Thanks for reading!
- 10 egg
- 1 large sweet potato cubed
- 3 red potatoes cubed
- 8 ounces bacon or turkey bacon
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 green onion stalks chopped
- 8 ounces shredded colby jack cheese
- Cook bacon to desired crispness and chop or crumble into pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add potatoes to same pan of bacon fat over medium-high heat then season with all spices. Cook until crispy (about 20 minutes), stirring as necessary. (If using turkey bacon, simply add a bit of butter to the oil remaining from frying it and cook the potatoes in that).
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl and season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper.
- Mix bacon and potatoes together than add to a rectangular baking dish. Pour beaten eggs over top then sprinkle with about half the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until egg is firm and cheese is melted. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top then garnish with green onion. Serve warm.